Bottling while sick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkwolf

Reaction score
Do people worry about bottling beer (or racking to secondary, etc.) while feeling slightly under the weather?

On one hand, with the alcohol and everything in the beer, any germs that might float in don't exactly have the most hospitable environment to take hold in. Plus, even if you weren't sick with something, doesn't mean there couldn't be those bugs floating around in the air anyway. And, even if something did survive in the bottles, being ingested directly into our GI tracts would be an even worse fate for the bug than the alcohol....

(To borrow a quote from George Carlin... these are the questions that kept me out of the really GOOD schools)

I would try to not sneeze or puke in the beer, outside of that no.

+1

On one hand, my first beer was bottled while I had strep, and it sucked, but OTOH, the suckiness was Brewer error and not the infection's fault. YMMV though

Can't think of any reason unless you're spewing in the bottle, But when you're feeling like crap slung out of a boot, the fun is no longer there and the excitement of making beer turns into a chore that you just want to be over with already.

Latest posts

Back