Bottling using jugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzamora3

Reaction score
I have a full bottling setup for my 5 gallon batches but recently made a 1 gallon 'experiment' brew. Was wondering if anyone has done this: used a plastic water jug one gallon for bottling? I was thinking to use my spigot and bottling wand from my 5 gallon setup and drill a hole at the bottom of the 1 gallon jug? I'm assuming this would be okay. These water jugs are in contact with water for who knows how long, a few minutes of contact with my beer shouldn't be an issues right?

Assuming it's sanitized and you keep splashing to a minimum, it shouldn't be an issue to do what you are saying. If I'm understanding properly that is

Assuming it's sanitized and you keep splashing to a minimum, it shouldn't be an issue to do what you are saying. If I'm understanding properly that is
Yeah, I'd basically be using the 1 gallon water just as a bottling bucket with spigot attached. I'd transfer from primary, mix priming sugar, then use bottling wand to fill. Seems like an easy, quick solution to bottling such a small batch.

Or you could siphon into the bottles with a wand and use a Domino Dots sugar cube to prime.

I use a kitchen pot as my bottling bucket for 1 gallon brews, mix in the priming sugar, then siphon into bottles. I don't bother with a spigot because its not necessary but what you suggest is fine if you clean and sanitise well. Splashing is the thing to watch for, but its the same with transferring 5g batches too.

Latest posts

Back