Bottling temperature mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrolight

Reaction score
So I bottled my Apfelwein which was going to bottle carb. It fermented for almost exactly 2 months before I bottled. I didn't repitch yeast.

Our first cold front came throught and it is so cold out, so the heater is on inside. The heater keeps this place around 80 so I figured the 65 degrees outside would make the brew happier and I placed it outside. Well, I forgot about it and last night it got super cold, it got down to 36 before I remembered to bring it in.

I'm wondering if the yeast may have died or not?... thus not carbing the bottles. I know I can check... But lets say the yeast didn't die and it may still carb but just take longer... anyone have an estimate of how much longer if it isn't dead?

Thanks for all the help guys/gals!

Unless you froze it, you did not kill the yeast.

Warm it back up to 70-75 degrees and they will go back to eating.

If the beer didn't freeze the yeast most likely survived. If they did they probably aren't happy and may be undergoing thermal shock. Let them sit 3 weeks from your bottleing date and turn the heat in your house down to 72ish. Saves money, the environment, and your beer.

Awesome! Great to know. Thanks alot guys/gals!

And Tipsy... I have a solar system installed... And I overproduce by about 30% on average anually and the electric credits expire after two years (alot of good they do me!)... But thanks for the tip ;)

Does freezing kill the yeasts used in brewing? I doesn't seem to bother bread yeasts...I routinely freeze some of my sourdough starter whenever I'm out of town or don't figure I'll be using it for a while, and it survives just fine.

In one infamous incident many years ago, I headed up north on a construction job for a couple of months. So I fed my sourdough starter, and froze it in a large Cool Whip tub. My wife found the tub while I was gone, assumed it was really Cool Whip, and set it on an upper shelf of the refrigerator to thaw.

Without getting too graphic, let's just say that as the starter thawed it blew the lid off the tub, and took over the entire fridge while my wife was visiting her mother. She's never forgiven me. And she has no sympathy at all for my position, which is that she destroyed a ten year-old sourdough starter that had been with me twice as long as she had....:(

Does freezing kill the yeasts used in brewing? I doesn't seem to bother bread yeasts...I routinely freeze some of my sourdough starter whenever I'm out of town or don't figure I'll be using it for a while, and it survives just fine.

In one infamous incident many years ago, I headed up north on a construction job for a couple of months. So I fed my sourdough starter, and froze it in a large Cool Whip tub. My wife found the tub while I was gone, assumed it was really Cool Whip, and set it on an upper shelf of the refrigerator to thaw.

Without getting too graphic, let's just say that as the starter thawed it blew the lid off the tub, and took over the entire fridge while my wife was visiting her mother. She's never forgiven me. And she has no sympathy at all for my position, which is that she destroyed a ten year-old sourdough starter that had been with me twice as long as she had....:(

This thread is going off topic but oh well.

Don't worry about putting your starter in the freezer. I have had my starter for 13 years. I have occasionally let is set for over two months in the fridge. It gets gray and looks bad but add a little water and flour and it comes back.

Y'all are funny. Also, here is a photo of my precious bottles. ^^
And I guess what prompted this thread was the high abv and cold combo but good to know.

20131114_230618.jpg

Back