Bottling sugar vs honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skitch

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a number of 1 gallon recipes that call for 3 tablespoons of honey for bottling. In my larger 5 gallon brews I have only used corn sugar for bottling. Wondering if i have to use pasteurized honey? Will it have any unwanted effects on the overall flavour of the brew? I suppose i could just use the equivalent volume of corn sugar too?
Cheers! :)

It doesn't need to be pasturized, it will leave a slight honey flavor in the finished beer and it will take longer to carbonate

Thanks for the information. Do you think i could use an equivalent volume of corn sugar instead of the honey?

no I don't think you could use an equivalent volume of corn sugar because they have different sugar concentrations. There are many calculators available that you could use to calculate how muh corn sugar for your batch. You will just have to look up the carbonation level for the style and then enter in your volume

I use honey all the time to prime....I usually can open bottles after 4-5 days after priming...it doesn't really leave much flavor IMO since it will ferment out...just make sure your measurements are right...Palmer has a great graph in his book on the different type of sugars to use for priming and amounts that I always check

Thank for the leads on the priming calculators and the Palmer chart.

Back