Bottling Still Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopinista

Reaction score
I'm a very experienced beer Brewer, but when it comes to mead I'm very new.

My first batch came out very delicious, and I want to bottle as is, no carbonation. What steps do I need to take to avoid oxidation? Is that even a concern with mead?

Any input would be very much appreciated!

It's less of a concern than beer or wine, but still an issue. stabilizing your mead can help with oxidation at packaging. Use 1 camden tab per gallon and some potassium sorbate, which will;

1. Give stop any further fermentation in bottles / bottle bombs
2. oxidation

Still mead can be bottled in anything you want really, corked wine bottles, beer bottles etc.

Thanks, but that's not really a satisfactory answer. There's no possibility of bottle bombs as fermentation is complete, and it has already dropped clear.

I don't use sorbate, or any other stabilizers/finings in anything I make, I keep it natural.

Ok, how is your bottling process? As long as you don't splash it all in there, then you've done what you can do aside from serving it from a keg flushed with CO2 (but seeing as how you're bottling that doesn't sound like you want to go that route.)

Back