Bottling Screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robdog09

Reaction score
Im on my 5th brew. One thing i realized is that i get a lot of sediment in my bottling bucket. I keep the siphon about an inch above the bottom when i bring the beer in, but it still brings a lot of junk. Any reco's on a screen or filter to get a lot of that out? Im force carbonating in a keg, so no priming sugar or anything involved.

Maybe I missed something, but if kegging, why transfer the beer to a bottling bucket and not directly to keg?

Try this:

Start your transfer siphoning a few inches down from the top of the liquid level. As the level lowers you can lower your wand as well. This will keep you from drawing a lot of trub.

As you get to the bottom you can tilt the bucket a bit to get the liquid to gather on one side and leave more trub behind.

Try this:

Start your transfer siphoning a few inches down from the top of the liquid level. As the level lowers you can lower your wand as well. This will keep you from drawing a lot of trub.

As you get to the bottom you can tilt the bucket a bit to get the liquid to gather on one side and leave more trub behind.

^^^^This works for me.

So, I bought myself a 12" X 12" piece of #4 (.047) 304 stainless steel wire mesh from ebay ($13.). I cut a circle out of it just slightly smaller than the inside of my ferm bucket. Then I bent an approximate 1/2" "dome" into it. Right after pitching and aerating the wort, I sanitized it and dropped it in. When it came to bottling time, I set the end of my racking cane in the middle of the bucket --- all the way to the bottom. The tip of the cane nested into the grid and there I left it while it siphoned. Only at the very end did I move it closer to the edge to get the last of the beer. Worked like a dream; no trub whatsoever.

thats right, the cold crash. I read about that before but have not tried yet. I have a kegerator, so plenty of room to put it in there. How long should it stay in there ahead of kegging it?

thats right, the cold crash. I read about that before but have not tried yet. I have a kegerator, so plenty of room to put it in there. How long should it stay in there ahead of kegging it?

I like going 2-5 days.

So, I bought myself a 12" X 12" piece of #4 (.047) 304 stainless steel wire mesh from ebay ($13.). I cut a circle out of it just slightly smaller than the inside of my ferm bucket. Then I bent an approximate 1/2" "dome" into it. Right after pitching and aerating the wort, I sanitized it and dropped it in. When it came to bottling time, I set the end of my racking cane in the middle of the bucket --- all the way to the bottom. The tip of the cane nested into the grid and there I left it while it siphoned. Only at the very end did I move it closer to the edge to get the last of the beer. Worked like a dream; no trub whatsoever.

So help me understand this: you're placing the racking cane at the peak of the dome when positioned in the bottom of the bucket, and in essence drawing the beer through the mesh?

If you would, a pic might help.

- control wand in a "good enough" fashion to where you're not sucking up trub
- no need to transfer to any intermediary vessel if you're going into keg
- for me, I only cold crash if I dry hop into fermenter w/o bags, or otherwise add something directly to fermenter that I want to pull down in the trub
- if you keg, you'll basically cold crash by practice in the keg. Maybe get some sediment in the first couple pours, but after that smooth sailing

just keep your racking cane an inch or so below the surface of the beer while siphoning. as the surface level drops just lower your racking cane along with it. When you start to get close to the trub gently tip your carboy/bucket towards your racking cane so that you dont need to lower the tip into the trub.

it requires attention (i.e you cant just start the siphon and walk away) but you wont suck up any trub this way.

just keep your racking cane an inch or so below the surface of the beer while siphoning. as the surface level drops just lower your racking cane along with it. When you start to get close to the trub gently tip your carboy/bucket towards your racking cane so that you dont need to lower the tip into the trub.

it requires attention (i.e you cant just start the siphon and walk away) but you wont suck up any trub this way.

This
Also, It keeps the majority of your racking cane out of the beer, reducing all that extra surface exposure
Cold crashing works great with dry hops but is also good for poor floculating yeast. Just be sure to swap out your airlock if you are using a 2 piece airlock. Plenty of threads here about that.

A word of warning about filtering at this point. I'm not sure what filter you would want to use, but if you use a filter at the top of the keg as opposed to some sort of fabric screen placed at the bottom (which you could pull up out of the keg after if it is filled), you will definitely be aerating your beer and will inevitably get oxygenation. Just be careful that whatever you do, you don't stir up the beer too much.

So help me understand this: you're placing the racking cane at the peak of the dome when positioned in the bottom of the bucket, and in essence drawing the beer through the mesh?

If you would, a pic might help.

The mesh just serves as a platform to keep the end of the racking cane off the bottom. The beer doesn't "filter through" the mesh. My problem (as a lot of folks, I'm sure) has been wondering where the end of the cane is in the vast, deep unknown of a nearly-opaque bucket of liquid. So, now I just lower the end of the cane onto the mesh and no more worries about sucking up trub.

006-001.JPG

The mesh just serves as a platform to keep the end of the racking cane off the bottom. The beer doesn't "filter through" the mesh. My problem (as a lot of folks, I'm sure) has been wondering where the end of the cane is in the vast, deep unknown of a nearly-opaque bucket of liquid. So, now I just lower the end of the cane onto the mesh and no more worries about sucking up trub.

Do you think a similar effect would be obtained if I attached plastic legs to the end of the racking cane to keep it the same distance off the bottom or do you think there is some filtering effect with the screen?

It looks like the mesh is coarse enough in size that trub could come up through it--though maybe the larger pieces would act similarly to how a grain bed in a mash works to filter out smaller particles.

Poking anything into the bottom of the fermenter will only result in more sediment as it stirs up the yeast cake when doing so

What I would recommend doing is holding your siphon outside the fermenter and using a dry erase marker to Marc on the siphon the maximum depth that you should be sending it down into the beer

That dips should not be at the top of the east gate but only to the depth at which point you would tilt the fermenter

Just put the carboy in the fridge 24 hours before bottling and you will get crystal clear beers

Siphon over the cake and don't be affraid to lose a little beer

Do you think a similar effect would be obtained if I attached plastic legs to the end of the racking cane to keep it the same distance off the bottom or do you think there is some filtering effect with the screen?

It looks like the mesh is coarse enough in size that trub could come up through it--though maybe the larger pieces would act similarly to how a grain bed in a mash works to filter out smaller particles.

Yes, the mesh is quite coarse (1/4" spaces) and does not have a filtering effect, nor was it intended to. Sanitizing it and tossing it in BEFORE ferm allows the trub over the next couple of weeks to settle below the screen. And sending the end of the racking cane down to the mesh does not create any disturbance. I guess legs would work if you could keep the end of the cane perfectly still and not stir anything up in the process.

I gel and cold-crash all my non-wheat ales and along with the screen, I get super-clear beers.

Did I miss something here? If you're kegging, who cares about sediment? The first pull of the handle will get rid of all your sediment woes.

Back