Bottling preperation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbeav

Reaction score
I am new to the homebrewing...we brew our first batch a few weeks ago and checked with a hudrometer today. It was 68 degrees, 4.9 alc level and 1.016 weight. Our plan is to check it again around the same time tomorrow. It is a malt extract and looksand smells great. If it stays he same at that temperature and wight, i am i ok to bottle, or should i wait until it gets lower? Thanks for your feedback

The usual practice is to wait 2 - 3 days before taking the second gravity sample. And make sure you're comparing the temperature-corrected gravities. As far as the 1.016 gravity, it sounds fine if it was at least a medium gravity beer to start with. I've had some stop at 1.025. Wasn't happy about it, but it tasted good. I don't know if there's an exact criteria for how high the FG can be.

Like NC said, wait 3 days and take another hydrometer reading. If they match, it's done fermenting. That's not to say that you need to bottle it right away. Leaving it another couple weeks will allow the yeast to do some clean-up and improve clarity.

Ok, well wait a few days to do testing again. Thank you for the feedback. Just excited to get the first batxh bottled.

Latest posts

Back