bottling/oxidation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjamin_Franklin

Reaction score
So I was bottling my second batch last night and I'm concerned that I might have introduced oxygen into my bottles. The last time I bottled (AKA my first time) even thing came out very smoothly from my auto siphon. This time however, no matter what I seemed to do I was getting at least some if not a lot of foam in each bottle. Should I be worried, or is this pretty normal. For what its worth it was wit I brewed, and after I tasted my FG sample I'm really hoping I didn't waste it all

Thanks in advance

Foam could just indicate that there was some excess CO2 already in the beer which was coming out. Did you have air bubbles going through the siphon hose? I wouldn't worry too much, unless the auto siphon was sucking in air somewhere.

I wouldn't worry too much. I've had bubbles in the siphon/hose during transfer before and the beer came out fine. Even if you did introduce some oxygen, oxidation takes a while before it manifests as the dreaded sherry or cardboard flavor. If you're concerned, keep the beers cool as this is supposed to slow the effects of oxidation reactions.

After years of racking I've picked up a few tricks. One trick I've learned is that (counter-intuitively) the farther I push the hose down onto the racking cane, the more bubbles I tend to get. Now I push the hose on just about 1 cm, enough to get a good grip, and then put a clamp around that. It seems to work better.

It's just CO2 coming out of solution. Nothing to worry about. It does make it a pain to get the bottles filled.

The CO2 generally needs a discontinuity in the line to come out of solution. Probably where you attach the tube to the cane (or siphon). Next time this happens, tap the hose near the top a few times, I find it clears it.

Back