bottling N/A beer advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, bringing this topic up once again. Here goes! I started a thread a while back asking about how to go about brewing a N/A beer to share with my dad who doesn't drink.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=630793 <<here is my original thread with my reasons for wanting to neuter a beer!

Anyway, I have read several websites and threads about HOW to go about greatly reducing the ABV before bottling and even came across a couple solid ideas for how to 'replace' the aroma hops that will get boiled off along with the booze. It will take some experimentation to get the flavors back to an acceptable level but my remaining question is how to go about bottling.

So, during the second boil I will kill all surviving yeast which would normally eat the priming sugar. How much yeast should I 're-pitch' before bottling? I should include that I will only be doing a single gallon.

Should I just put ~1/8 tsp yeast into each bottle, whole batch?? I guess I just have zero idea how much to pitch only to achieve a carbonated brew, not a fermented brew. I want to avoid bottle bombs at all cost (obviously).

Or, is the amount pitched relatively unimportant as it seems the amount of priming sugars would be the main factor in creating bottle bombs?

Additionally, once a pitching rate is determined should I just use an existing measurement of priming sugar from a 1 gallon recipe to get carbed? (I understand this whole headache could be avoided if I were able to keg and force carb, but that is unfortunately not the case :( )

If anyone has any insight into pitching into bottles, or re-carbing flat beers I'm all ears.

Thanks for the read everyone and I apologize. That was a rather long, wordy way to ask a simple question: How much yeast/sugar should I put into 1 gallon of N/A beer just to carbonate? (Yes, I know N/A beers are not completely alcohol free, <1% will be plenty good) Thanks again!

Your dad made a choice in his life not to have a drink. Unless you trick him or manipulate him into having a drink with you, he will not and should not. If you really really need to do this then make the investment and get a force carb setup so that you can make a certified ABSOLUTELY 0% ABV beer. At the gallon level this is doable for relatively cheap. Here is one option that I found on the web.https://www.theweekendbrewer.com/products/regulated-economy-mini-keg-tap?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=23785592515&gclid=CMOgufjw9tQCFQSVfgodbmkPgQ

I would explain to him how difficult it was to find a reasonable option to share your passion with him and that every path you went down seemed to include some alcohol, but finally you found that one road that allowed you to share a 100% non-alcoholic brew with your dad. Not 0.1% ABV, but 100% zero ABV. Even then I would expect him to decline if he was my dad, not because he doesn't love you or isn't proud of you, but because he made a decision not to have a drink. Honestly, what is N/A beer but a drink without any of the drink in it.

Your dad made a choice in his life not to have a drink. Unless you trick him or manipulate him into having a drink with you, he will not and should not. If you really really need to do this then make the investment and get a force carb setup so that you can make a certified ABSOLUTELY 0% ABV beer. At the gallon level this is doable for relatively cheap. Here is one option that I found on the web.https://www.theweekendbrewer.com/products/regulated-economy-mini-keg-tap?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=23785592515&gclid=CMOgufjw9tQCFQSVfgodbmkPgQ

I would explain to him how difficult it was to find a reasonable option to share your passion with him and that every path you went down seemed to include some alcohol, but finally you found that one road that allowed you to share a 100% non-alcoholic brew with your dad. Not 0.1% ABV, but 100% zero ABV. Even then I would expect him to decline if he was my dad, not because he doesn't love you or isn't proud of you, but because he made a decision not to have a drink. Honestly, what is N/A beer but a drink without any of the drink in it.

Thanks for that link, it never even crossed my mind about home-brew mini keg setups! I am still VERY new to this game so every day I learn something new. That may be in the works regardless of ABV :)

You are absolutely right though! There is no need to do this by any stretch of the imagination. Purely want, and if he declines I will leave it at that. I never had any intention of persuasion, pressure, trickery or any other nonsense. I am the only member of my family who drinks and I respect everyones decisions to the point that I won't even drink in front of them, which can make for LONG holidays! (My mother is the exception, she used to drink and gave it up years ago out of respect but she still enjoys 'sampling')

For the most part, my entire drive to do this is because after his first exposure to hops he loved the aroma and has offered his vegetable garden to me to grow my own. Also, he has the before mentioned two masters degrees in Microbiology, Organic Chemistry, a Minor in Pathology (~40 years as a food scientist) and is thrilled that I am more or less beginning to take an interest in his world. I think he would simply enjoy seeing another side of his field of study, see what 'beer' actually tastes like and be glad I'm taking such an interest.

That one gallon keg is getting more tempting with every minute that passes though! Thanks for the heads up and the reply, I'll post back with whatever I choose to do!

Back