Bottling mixed fermentation ale..Priming questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopheadNJ

Reaction score
So I've got an ale that I brewed back in August that was pitched with British ale yeast. I accidentally used a thief that I use for my sours and low and behold Brett took over. I racked this beer to secondary after a couple of weeks and pitched a starter of a dregs house culture.

Gravity is down to 1.002 and ready for packaging. Typically I keg everything, but I'm going to bottle this one up. Should I pitch Champagne yeast with my priming sugar or is there enough residual bugs to carbonate?

I had a similar question just a few days ago, and this was the response I got. The Brett will carb it, for sure. Might take a little longer (couple extra weeks?), but it will do the trick without introducing another yeast to the mix.

I had a similar question just a few days ago, and this was the response I got. The Brett will carb it, for sure. Might take a little longer (couple extra weeks?), but it will do the trick without introducing another yeast to the mix.

Perfect. Thanks

Out of curiosity, hows it tasting? What kind of beer was it originally? I'm always intrigued by accidental contaminations that ended well, since so many seems to go south pretty quick.

Originally an oatmeal pale ale. Last taste itwas tasting really good. Lots of fruity brett flavors with some classic funk.

It was accidental but a cross contamination from a sour, not wild yeast.

Hopefully it still taste good when I bottle it tonight, i'll let you know!

Back