Bottling in used aluminum pints

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHXCobra

Reaction score
I have been drinking a lot of Miller Lite in the aluminum pints lately (hate away) and have just been throwing them in the recycle. Could I use them for bottling and then take my homebrew with me to places like the lake, picnics, etc?

Then everyone is going to be thinking that you are drinking Miller Lite. A few other things as well as consuming Miller Lite should be done in the privacy of your home. :D

Now, if it was Coors Light....

Honestly, I think it would work. Those cans seal back up pretty good.

My LHBS now sells the aluminum pints and they seem to work great and can be taken anywhere as you said, I do not see why you could not reuse the miller ones. The only issue that he has seen is that you cannot use the wing style capper. You have you use a bench capper or you will crush the top. I love the idea but I don't want to buy the capper right now.

Not sure anyone has done it before, but its worth a try. I'd just do 1 to start though and confirm that it reseals well enough to hold the pressure.

I am assuming you are talking about the screw off type caps. I tried it once but the top did not seal well and the beer did not carb. I think the secret is the little ring that is left at the bottom of the cap when it is opened. I believe this is crimped at the factory to provide a good seal.

I don't think the pry off style on, say, a Bud Light "bottle" would work at all.

Any bottle with a pop top cap will accept a new bottle cap just fine. But, as chrisgood1 mentioned, you may need a bench capper to press the new cap on because the bottle may not have a lip for a wing capper to gain purchase.

A bottle cap is a bottle cap, just as a wine cork is a wine cork.

I have been drinking a lot of Miller Lite in the aluminum pints lately (hate away) and have just been throwing them in the recycle. Could I use them for bottling and then take my homebrew with me to places like the lake, picnics, etc?

They work great.
ML is all a co-worker drinks and he'll save them from the recycle bin.

Some of my cans now have over 6 cycles on them.

My only issue with them is I'm having a hard time of not screwing the cap on too tight. Gotta be just right, as they can "get the lid gripper out' tight once pressured up.

Besides the easy cleaning, easy to leave behind at a party, easy to give away; there is a lot a pleasure in squeezing one while it's carbonating.

'da Kid

P.S. Pepsi has them now. Great to camo a beer during a public 'No Alcohol Permitted' event.

They work great.
ML is all a co-worker drinks and he'll save them from the recycle bin.

Some of my cans now have over 6 cycles on them.

My only issue with them is I'm having a hard time of not screwing the cap on too tight. Gotta be just right, as they can "get the lid gripper out' tight once pressured up.

Besides the easy cleaning, easy to leave behind at a party, easy to give away; there is a lot a pleasure in squeezing one while it's carbonating.

'da Kid

P.S. Pepsi has them now. Great to camo a beer during a public 'No Alcohol Permitted' event.
Great to know. Here I was gonna start buying ML and Budinkel just to dump it out and use their bottle cans. Don't drink soda either, but I love the idea of enjoying a home brew at the next "dry" church picnic da wife drags me to. :)

God I love this place. ;)

Now I just need to make sure the kids understand ... "IT'S NOT DR. PEPPER!"

:mug:

Guess I'd better keep a few bottle cans of acidic corn syrup on hand to maintain the ruse.

Where there's a will there's a way... and I fully possess the will. :D

I still maintain that the original idea is a stroke of genius, on par with that energy/mass speed of light equivalency stuff. Who uses that? ;)

There are a couple Basic Brewing episodes recently where they talk about using twist top cans successfully.

are you sure there is not a plastic coating on the aluminum? If so you would not want to use it for the same reason you dont want to re-use plastic bottles, they get banged up and release nasty chemicals you wouldn't want to ingest.

I used these on 5 gallons of Dundalk Irish Heavy and took them camping. Held up quite well and didn't seem to alter the flavor at all from a glass bottle. Experiment went very well.

Never thought of reusing them but i did use one for a tap handle

20141206_214139.jpg

Back