Bottling in 2L Soda Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KEG99

Reaction score
Looking for a way to bottle in larger containers without getting into 5 gal. kegs. Was thinking of using 2 liter soda bottles, actually old seltzer water bottles. I would keep in unlit place inside brown bag to keep light off the clear bottle. I have been seeing beer recently show up in brown PET plastic bottles, but I also hear PET plastic is subsceptible to oxygen infiltration. Can't seem to find much on HB for this. Am I completely off-base and missing the obvious?

I use them for short term storage, like when I'm going out of town and want beer in an unbreakable disposable container. I use a new cap on each one. I wouldn't keep them any longer than a few months as I have heard that they are subsceptable to O2 ( as the above post indicates ).
But I do use then all the time.

They do make caps that allow you to put co2 into the bottles. I use this when transporting beer

They do make caps that allow you to put co2 into the bottles.

h22lude - Any leads on where you can get these caps? I looked but didn't find. I have an idea how to make a fitting to connect a mini co2 cartrdge, but would like to see what is out there.

With a co2 hookup, seems like you could keep it from going flat. At least for a couple days. I doubt 2L would last more than a couple days in my fridge anyway! :drunk:

Good to know it isn't a total no-no. I'll give it a try on the my next batch. See what happens.

I had a little extra when bottling once and used a 2 liter bottle with some carb tabs. It worked out really well. Make sure you keep them covered or they'll get skunked.

When I was bottling, every batch had a couple 2L bottles. Insure the caps get TIGHT. When pouring, I would pour into a pitcher to leave the yeast in the bottom. Now that I am kegging, I use the 2L bottles for traveling with beer. Works great, no yeast to worry about.

Latest posts

Back