Bottling help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxer.luur

Reaction score
Brewed my first batch 2 weeks ago
. (All grain hefeweizen) checked fg and fermentation is done and ready to bottle. Unfortunately with covid-19 my partner can't come to help me bottle. I've already taken my fermenter out of my ice bath(fermenter at 64) and it is now slowly raising to ambient house temp of 68. I plan to rack to bottling bucket with spigot and bottle. My question is how quick do I have to be? I'm worried about the sugars separating as I'm trying to bottle by myself. Should I softly stir the batch after say every 6 bottles? Or can I fill more bottles at once and come back to cap? Just want to avoid bottle bombs or bottles with no carbonation in 3 weeks when I crack one open to taste. Any help or advice is appreciated

Brewed my first batch 2 weeks ago
. (All grain hefeweizen) checked fg and fermentation is done and ready to bottle. Unfortunately with covid-19 my partner can't come to help me bottle. I've already taken my fermenter out of my ice bath(fermenter at 64) and it is now slowly raising to ambient house temp of 68. I plan to rack to bottling bucket with spigot and bottle. My question is how quick do I have to be? I'm worried about the sugars separating as I'm trying to bottle by myself. Should I softly stir the batch after say every 6 bottles? Or can I fill more bottles at once and come back to cap? Just want to avoid bottle bombs or bottles with no carbonation in 3 weeks when I crack one open to taste. Any help or advice is appreciated
You’re gunna be fine. Go to brewers friend and use their Priming Sugar Calculator and fill in the info needed and you shouldn’t have bottle bin s. That’s the easy part. Make sure you have a hose and bottling wand to help you bottle with the minimal amount of splashing. Also, be sure to fill a bottle and then cap it, that helps minimize o2 pickup. You got this brother

Agreed.
As long as you boiled the sugar in water, and when you fill the bucket... kind of "coil" it on the bottom so it constantly spins the beer as it fills up. If you want to, use a sanitized long spoon/paddle etc. to stir it more WITHOUT splashing. But that is not necessary. I have bottled many-many beers without stirring using the coil method and I have been fine.
As a new brewer, you will find over time to relax. Beer is more resilient than you think. Relax, enjoy it and learn to develop your processes.
And - ask plenty of questions here. We were all new at this at one time. Homebrewtalk is an amazing source. Pretty much every single piece of equipment I have bought over the years was advice/posts I have seen here.

I do this by myself all the time. I put the priming sugar solution in the bottling bucket first and siphon beer on top of that as stated above. I stir gently but well and then fill all my bottles, capping once they are all filled. I have not had any issues with that. I don't think they get any more oxygen exposure waiting to cap until all the bottles are all full. The bottles are full of air to begin with and capping just locks in the existing air in the neck.

Some highly hopped beers are particularly susceptible to oxidation. In order to avoid oxygen you can put 1/2 tsp table sugar in each bottle and siphon directly out of the primary fermenter into the bottles and forgo the bottling bucket. When I do this I also try to fill within 1/2 inch of the top of the bottle.

Sugar does not “separate” once it is mixed with the beer. Mix gently when first adding it and bottle from there.

Thank you all for your help. Hoping this will be the last time I have to bottle alone lol. Eventually I'll get to kegging my big batches. The thing I'm learning the most on here is to try to relax and it worry. As long as I sanitize everything. It's kinda hard to mess up beer lol

Latest posts

Back