Bottling from uncarbed keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlssox524

Reaction score
Hey all-

I've been kegging for a while and would like to start bottling a few each batch as easily as possible. I know I could fill a few bottles before I rack to the keg or could gently fill bottles with carbonated beer but I haven't seen any mention of a variation that seems easier: could I fill bottles from my tap before the beer has time to carb up? My thinking is that I would attach a growler filler tube, gently fill the bottles, then throw some individual cab tabs in. The only issue I can think of is sanitation but I always have sanitizer in my lines before attaching my keg. Any thoughts?

Bumping this as I just filled a couple kegs that I'd like to enter in a competition eventually..any thoughts?

I just used the thread about not needing a beer gun to do it. I just took the bottling can and pulled off the bottom part and shoved it into a picnic tap, fits real nice and tight. Then I used a rubber stopper set to the bottle height.

Sanitize everything, bleed off pressure in keg and set regulator to 3 psi. Fill very slowly, I even pull the cane out once it is almost full to get as much as I can in (leave an inch of headspace). Then put a sanitize cap on and rock it until it foams. Then cap on top of foam.

I did this to make travelers and giveaways for friends. I just entered my first competition last week and 2 of my 3 beers placed in their categories.

First couple times it seemed like a hassle but now since I bottle samples off each keg I have down so it takes no time at all.

I don't do anything special...
Carb beer normally, use a tube extension on your faucet, fill bottles and cap on the foam.
Temperature is important. Cold beer and cold bottles helps a lot.

Back