Bottling from kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvhorwitz

Reaction score
I have a problem, I have too much beer. Now that's a terrible problem, isn't it.

It all started when I brewed a ton of beer and wine for my sons wedding. Now I have about 4 gallons (total) left in two kegs. I would like to be able to bottle it. It has been in kegs since August. Since it has been chilled, I'm assuming that the yeast has dropped out.

What do you recommend? More yeast? More sugar? How would you proceed? No. I'm not drinking it [emoji12].

Thanks

Greg

I am very confused.

1. 4 gallons is too much? We are quite different sir.
2. why would you consider adding sugar or yeast? It is kegged so I presume you did carb it. If it is sealed it is still carbed.
3. Why not drink it?

If you want to bottle from the keg there is vast information here and on other sites. Search bottling wand or bottling from keg.

I have a question about Bottleling from a keg after it the beer has been carbonated. How does this affect bottle conditioning verses using priming sugar and Bottleling the old way? I want bottle beer that is good 6 months from now so I'm confused if beer bottles from a keg has the same shelf life of old fashion Bottleling.

Once a beer is carbonated in a keg there is no need to do anything other than move it from keg to bottle.

this is accomplished by either using a tool like a Blichmann beer gun, or a counter pressure bottle filler.

or by using a diy bottle filler like this one https://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/08/26/how-to-bottle-beer-from-the-keg/ I personally just cram a racking cane rather than a bottling wand in the picnic tap when using this method.

The better your bottling practice the longer the shelf life.

Principle concerns are maintaining carbonation and avoiding oxidation. Carb problems will be apparent quickly. Oxidation is the long term concern.

As Qhrumphf said its all about your technique.

If you are purging each bottle with CO2 prior to filling as is the case with a beer gun type device then for a good long while I have a year and a half old barleywine that was bottled with a blichmann beer gun and it is in great shape. I have had bottles go about 6 months using the diy picnic tap method.

I generally only bottle for competition and don't normally save bottles for that length of time.

I've got a bunch of keg-bottled stuff from back February/March that is indistinguishable from the same batch in keg- and the keg has been stored cold and the bottles at room temp. Neither taste brand new fresh, but are aging at the same rate. I hand bottle with a Blichmann Beer Gun.

A commercial line will often add an extra step of pulling a vaccum on the bottle before purging with CO2, but otherwise it uses the same general process. The vacuum step really lowers the oxygen making it into the bottle and will maximize shelf life, but not really a practical step with homebrew gear.

General process:

Obviously clean and sanitized yada yada yada.
1. Get everything COLD (near freezing) including the bottles.
2. Lower keg pressure to 5 or 6 PSI (-OR- fill bottle under pressure).
3. Short bursts through bottling gear to fill with beer until there's no foam or bubbles in the line.
4. Purge each bottle throughly with CO2.
5. Fill from bottom of bottle either via gun or bottle wand/cane/party tap setup.
6. Continue filling until BEER overflows (not just foam).
7. Remove wand, headspace should be appropriate as is.
8. Purge headspace with CO2, close enough to beer level to cause foam to rise to rim of bottle.
9. Cap on foam and crimp down immediately.
10. Repeat as necessary.

The process in the link above leaves bottles open too long for my liking, and too much carb may be lost.

Filling under pressure and keeping things cold will minimize foaming and maximize retention of carbonation.

Should I wait until the beer in the kegs are fully carbonated before Bottleling ?

Yes.

Once you've decided to carb in the keg, whether via force carb, spunding, or natural prime, you should let it finish, and then transfer.

Otherwise I would suspect that your bottled beers would be under Carnes. Once the beer is in the bottles, it would be very unlikely you'll be able to fix them after.

Ok thanks! I'm going to keg two this weekend for the first time and let them carb a week or so before Bottleling. The majority of my beer will stay in the keg. I'm just Bottleling 12 of each so I can save for later.

Back