bottling from keg ends flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntbritton

Reaction score
I have been trying to perfect my practice of bottling beer that has been forced carb in the keg.

I follow the carb chart and carb over a week to reach the desired carb i am looking for. I usually find that in about a week i am there.

I then will clean and sanitize bottles, put them in the fridge to prep for filling

I have tried to methods here:
1. putt the bottle under the tap at a lower psi usually 3-5 to reduce the amount of head coming from the pour. Then caping immediately.
2. used a picnic tap with a bottle wand inserted to fill the bottles from bottom up. PSI is usually 5 and then cap immediately.

With trying the beer in a few days to a few weeks they are flat, no carb.

How do others do this? Any ideas on how to improve the practice i am using?

to get proper carbonation when bottling from a keg, use a counter-pressure filler or beer gun. i don't believe that you can get proper carbonation when going straight from the tap.

I am assuming the counter pressure is the stopper with a bottle want through it and burp it. I have read about that but dont see how that helps. The co2 would still escape through the burp or atleast how i am thinking about what i have read.

You're always going to lose some carbonation when bottling from the keg, but there are ways to minimize it. Some people overcarb slightly if they plan on bottling a lot from a keg. Keeping the bottles, tubing, etc all as cold as possible helps a lot. Put everything in the freezer for a few hours before you start. Minimizing headspace is also important, since some CO2 will always come out of solution after capping to reach pressure equilibrium with the headspace, and the larger the headspace the more will come out.

The stopper with the wand through it is a cheap DIY alternative to a true counterpressure filler, but they both help a lot. The pressure you release or "burp" at the end is a tiny fraction of the CO2 being lost. The majority of it is from the foaming, which is reduced significantly when pressure is being applied during the filling process.

Back