Bottling Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonestriker

Reaction score
Hello, all. This is my first post on the forum, but I have been lurking here for over six months. I bought brewing supplies a while ago with the intention of creating my own soda, however, since an incident with bad yeast that left glass in the walls nine feet away, my family has ordered me to explore other avenues. Needless to say, I didn't want to let my equipment go to waste, so I decided to start bottling coffee, and I have to say, it's turned out really well. Every batch I've made has been gone so fast, my fridge is basically useless. Although it is a simple process, a friend of mine has asked me to create a writeup on this forum. Enjoy.

1 GALLON OF BOTTLED ICED COFFEE
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT:
5 Gallon Bottling Bucket (Optional)
Bottles
Caps
Strainer (Optional)
16 Cup Coffee Pot

INGREDIENTS:
16 Cups Coffee
3 cups Sugar
1/2 Gal Milk (I like to use whole milk, but you can use anything.)
Dried Vanilla Bean (Optional)

PROCEDURE:
I begin by brewing up a full pot of my 16 cup coffee pot. I've used different kinds of coffee, and prefer Target brand. I then let it cool for about fifteen minutes in the fridge, then pour the milk and coffee into the bottling bucket at the same time. Using a wooden spoon, I mix the coffee and the milk, while slowly pouring in the sugar. Once the mixture is however sweet you want it to be, I usually pour it into the bottles and cap it. However, if you wish to add a taste of Vanilla, I like to fill a strainer with one or two dried vanilla beans, and pour the mixture into the bottles through the strainer. I can taste the difference, and I find that it is an improvement on the recipe. Refrigerate, and enjoy. If you want to get really fancy, check out brianmot's tutorial for easy, removable labels here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/how-i-print-beer-lables-cheap-small-runs-long-runs-waterproof-ish-295208/

Once again, I know this seems simple, but a lot of people ask me how I do this, so I figured that I could just explain it once and for all. While it may be silly, bottled coffee has a certain charm to it, and is something fun to do with your equipment when you're not making something else, that your family can help with and everyone can enjoy. Make it and let me know if you have any recipe improvements, additions, or just tell me how it went! Thanks!

if you do a lttle searching there is a coffee wine recipe on the forums that turned out nice.

Great idea. What kind of shelf life are you able to get? I would think that the milk would go bad at some point...

Ill be following this thread... also interested in shelf life

I apologize for the delay in posts, I've been extremely busy with another project and haven't had a chance to get on here. As far as shelf life goes I've been able to safely drink this stuff two weeks out using my super cold fridge, but the milk had just been delivered to the store and the expiration date was just over two weeks. Cold brewing interests me, and if it goes well I've had my eye on automated brewing using a raspberry Pi- but that's a topic for another thread. If I did end up cold brewing, I'd probably store it in a two liter growler and mix it with milk as needed. This would greatly improve shelf life, however portability would suffer.

Latest posts

Back