Bottling cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geosomin

Reaction score
Ok-my first batch of cider/ apfelwein is ready. Fermented 5 weeks and settled out clear. I want to make half of it still, cork some to try in a year or so, but most to drink in the next few months. Iwould like to carbonate some lightly to see what I prefer.
I am concerned as I keep reading about cold crashing and pasteurization- I have not done it with beer, why with cider? I was going to use the dark plastic bottles I use for beer -but if pasteurization is critical do I have to go get glass ones and a capper just for this so I can pasteurize my carbonated cider? If so I may just make it all still. i don't have the fridge space to keep it all chilled!
I would appreciate advice:
What about just back sweetening with some stevia and bottling in beer bottles and seeing if a bit of carbonation happens for a mostly still cider. Seems the simplest option...Bad idea?

If you're using non fermentable sweeteners in the cider, you don't have to worry about pasteurizing, as the yeast can't ferment it.

It's only when you want to sweeten and bottle carb that you have to consider pasteurization to halt the yeast.

Latest posts

Back