Bottling bucket size relation to beer amount question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holiday101

Reaction score
Considering that we want to minimize the potential of oxidation of the beer as much as possible during bottling, I was curious if there is a safe ratio or limit to the headspace acceptable in a bottling bucket? For example would a 5 gallon bottling bucket be too big for a 2 1/2 gallon batch?

If you are concerned with it, I would think surface area of the beer/air interphase is the parameter you would want to minimize, not the volume of air above the beer - but, as long as you minimize directly oxygenating the beer - splashing ect. It isn't a major issue.

Hmm- I don't think it will make a difference because it's not staying in the bottling bucket for more than 1/2 hour- 1 hour, depending on how efficient you are at bottling. The absorption of O2 via the headspace will be the same no matter what the volume, and dependent on area at the liquid/air interface. That's my best guess anyways.
Just don't agitate it too much.
Edit- Ha! I see CJ beat me to it by 2 minutes. Darn my slow typing skills!

I don't think I've seen anyone use a lid during bottling anyway, so the effective space open to air during bottling is pretty much the same regardless of how much liquid is in the bucket. Just bottle quickly & efficiently, minimize any splashing and such, and you'll be fine. Don't overthink this.

Ah, thanks! I suppose with all the warnings on oxidization of beer during and post ferment I was a little concerned as to what bottling bucket size.

GuldTuborg - I use a lid on my bottling bucket, not sure if it is necessary, but I put my fermentation bucket lid loosely onto the bottling bucket -- my thought is it can reduce the amount of dust, & in my house dog hair, that could find its way into my beer.....certainly doesn't do anything for air contact though.

GuldTuborg - I use a lid on my bottling bucket, not sure if it is necessary, but I put my fermentation bucket lid loosely onto the bottling bucket -- my thought is it can reduce the amount of dust, & in my house dog hair, that could find its way into my beer.....certainly doesn't do anything for air contact though.

Not a bad idea if you have pets or other sources of solids that can float in. That's not preventing oxygenation any, which seemed to be OP's concern.

I use a lid during bottling to keep out fruit flies. I lost 2 batches about a year ago to acetobacter infection. I had noticed fruit flies buzzing around during bottling but never worried much until I discovered they carry acetobacter. No infections (knock on wood) since I started covering the bucket.

I use 3-piece airlocks, so when I put the lid on the bottling bucket (which also has an airlock grommet just in case), I cover the lil hole with the cap off the airlock to keep the fruit flies, etc out as much as possible. Other, microbial nasties in the air aren't ninja acrobats. They settle straight down, so covering the bottling bucket loosely isn't a bad idea at all.
Otherwise, if you're doing 1 gallon batches, this 2G bucket from Lowe's with an Italian spigot would work great;

This pic also shows the two pack of fine-mesh nylon paint strainer bags in 2G size with elastic openings. Both were a mere few bucks each. Found'em on their online site.

Back