Bottling beer in a clear glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden_guy

Reaction score
Hello,
I have over 100 clear glass with EZ caps and I want to use it to bottling homebrew beer. Does my beer will be better if I'm using amber glass ?
Note: I will store my beer in dark place.

As long as it's kept out of direct sunlight/in the dark there won't be any disadvantage to bottling in clear, colourless, glass bottles. Quite often use clear, colourless, bottles myself as it is enjoyable to see the true colour of certain beers.

If your clear bottles of beer are kept in the dark there will be no problem. It takes UV light to skunk the beer. Sunlight is a strong source which it why you get a sunburn on a nice summer day and that can skunk your beer in minutes. Fluorescent lights also give off UV but are much weaker so a small amount of time exposed to that light won't be a problem but long term storage in that can. Incandescent lights give off very little UV.

yep, i have a bunch of nice clear 25 oz bottles, but after bottling, all my beer goes into cardboard wine cases for bottle conditioning and storage.

i also put t-shirts over my carboys and fermenters to keep the light out.

I usually bottle at least one clear bottle per batch so I can see how the beer is clearing. I might not bother with a stout though, it's hard to see anything in that dark beer.

Latest posts

Back