bottling and kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astropunk

Reaction score
I have a corny keg, and I have 18 bottles (so far :tank:)

Is there a way to split up a 5gal batch, and bottle some of it and keg the rest? What is the best way to do this?

My initial thought was to use about 1/4 of the priming sugar in 1/4 of the beer and bottle that, then keg the rest.

Also, can a beer be kegged, carbonated, then bottled? If so, is this done without the use of priming sugar?

Thanks!

Beer can be kegged and then bottled with use of a beer gun (or a DIY beer gun). I did this for the first time a week or so ago, and aside from forgetting to drop the pressure down and winding up with a face full of beer for the first bottle, it went well and I've got a 4-pack bottled off for a friend. Cost me $15 for the stopper, disconnect and beer line. I already had a bottle filler and picnic tap.

I have a corny keg, and I have 18 bottles (so far :tank:)

Is there a way to split up a 5gal batch, and bottle some of it and keg the rest? What is the best way to do this?

My initial thought was to use about 1/4 of the priming sugar in 1/4 of the beer and bottle that, then keg the rest.

Also, can a beer be kegged, carbonated, then bottled? If so, is this done without the use of priming sugar?

Thanks!

there's a few different ways you can do it really. you can bulk prime your whole batch, bottle what you want and put the rest into the keg to naturally carb. you can prime your bottles only and carb what goes into the keg with co2 or carb it all in the keg with co2 and fill bottles from that with a beer gun. I use the beer gun option, it just seems way more efficient to me

Ha! Everything you ever want or need to know is on YouTube!

I just watched a video of a home made beer gun using a picnic tap (which I have) and a drilled stopper and bottle fill wand. Looks like I just need the stopper to make it all work!
Awesome!

You can also put the flat beer in the keg.
Then fill some bottles from the keg and prime them with carb tabs.
Then force carb whatever is left in the keg.

Back