Bottling 18 month old sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopinista

Reaction score
So I'm planning on bottling one of my batches of Flanders Bruin this weekend, it's going on 18 months on secondary.

I was wondering what I need to do for bottle conditioning. I'm guessing the yeast aren't active anymore.

I don't just prime and bottle right? I have to pitch more yeast? More yeast then prime?

If anyone can help with what yeast/how much that'd be great.

Hey,

I haven't had any direct experience with bottling sours yet (have one in the coffers), but from what I have read if you intend to bottle condition then yes you will need to add more yeast. For a 5 gallon batch a quarter or a half pack of rehydrated dry yeast will do fine. As far as what kind of yeast it doesn't really matter as it won't contribute much character but most folks use a highly flocculant one to make sure it all drops out quickly.

Thanks for the response! I always have champagne yeast and us-05 sitting around, how long after I pitch should I prime and bottle?

Thanks for the response! I always have champagne yeast and us-05 sitting around, how long after I pitch should I prime and bottle?

Treat your rehydrated yeast the same as your priming solution. Add to bottling bucket and get a good distribution.

Yeah you need the priming sugar and something to eat it. You pitch more yeast since probably all of it has settled out of that beer.

Prime with a little more sugar than calculators say. You have less entrained CO2 that they assume. I usually set the calculator for 3 volumes and the temp at 80 F.

Yes, the sacc is dead, but there is brett. If you don't add any more yeast, the brett will eventually carb the beer, but since its population is low, it will take a long time.

I usually add a little yeast to the bottling bucket, often off a starter I have going. I don't think the amount is really that important. Supposedly Champagne yeast is best as it tolerates the low ph environment, but I have not had issues with any fresh yeast. Maybe use about half a pack of yeast.

I've always used champagne yeast with good luck. Or you could use brett. I know one brewery that used 2 strains of brett and a sherry yeast for bottle conditioning. That would probably work well in your case.

I've bottled with Champagne yeast my old sour, It took a long time to carbonate, and the carbonation level was not as high as I was wanting it to be. I'm assuming the Champagne yeast took a big hit when they hit that acidic environment of the sour beer.

I'm wondering if you would be better off pitching a fresh vial of a Brett strain, and a little less priming sugar. I also used these 375ml capable bottles that are rated for the higher CO2 volumes.

http://morebeer.com/products/belgian-style-beer-bottles-cappable-qty-12-375ml.html

At 18 mos. this should dine, but check the gravity anyway. If you are anywhere near 1.010 you are not done yet. Sours can and will drop to 1.002 over a very long time. The brett may still be active.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Home Brew mobile app

At 18 mos. this should dine, but check the gravity anyway. If you are anywhere near 1.010 you are not done yet. Sours can and will drop to 1.002 over a very long time. The brett may still be active.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Home Brew mobile app

I was never questioning whether my beer was done, I know when a beer is done.

Back