Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midbob

Reaction score
Hi all, I am sure this question is asked frequently, and I've tried to find posts on here to no avail, but what kind of recycled consumer beer bottles are safe to use for homebrew beer (Mexican Cerveza )? Preferably a corona style size bottle would be first choice which would be capped. I live in UK. Thanx.

Any sort of bottle that previously held a carbonated beverage will work fine for beer, even 2 liter plastic bottles. Preferably dark colored bottles to minimize skunking your beer and minimize exposure to UV lighting

Agree that anything with a pop top (and not screw-off cap) is fine. That said, I prefer the darker bottles as they do a better job of keeping out UV light which can sometimes 'skunk' beer.

Keeping the clear bottles in a dark place works just as well, though, if that's what you have.

Thank for reply colorowdy. So basically I could go to my local pub and ask them to keep bud, Heineken and preferably corona, etc bottles? Are any or these types of bottles better than the other, don't want any explosions?

If you are going to ask your local bar, might ask about swing top bottles. Probably take a little longer to get a lot of them, but they are so easy to use. No capper needed, and replacement gaskets are cheap and readily available when needed. I lucked into a guy that had 4 cases and I've not had any problems.

Usually Bud is in twist off bottles here in the States. You can't recap twist offs. It might be different over there though. But yeah, any bottle should be just as good as any other bottle as long as there are no visible cracks or flaws. As was said before I prefer brown/amber bottles becuase they filter harmful UV light better than clear or green bottles.

Some people will suggest against using clear bottles (some even stay away from green), but as long as you keep them out of the light, you won't have any issues. The bulk of my bottles are green, and I have several 750ml clear ones... never had a problem yet.

And as long as it held a carbonated drink before, there shouldn't be a risk of an explosion. Some people re-use 2L plastic soda bottles, among other things.

I've read on this forum that some folks have had success with the bottles that have the screw-type bottlecaps on them. It depends on the make of the bottle , but the main piece of advice was to NOT use a butterfly capper, but a benchtop capper instead. I guess this is because the benchtop cappers don't try to 'grab' the sides of the mouth of the beer bottle and instead just press and crimp the lid firmly into place.

I've been thinking of moving to a benchtop capper anyway and have some of these bottles (read - 22 cases' worth!!) to experiment with from my local craft brewery soon - in the garage, in case my 'experimentation' leads to broken glass... :eek:

Even if it does end in disaster - hey, I've still got a great new bottlecapper and I've learned something!

I think the issue with screw tops is the fact that they are meant for one-time use. They arent as thick as pry-off bottles so they are easier to break while capping, and more likely to explode.

On the subject of skunking in clear bottles, some folks like myself enjoy skunked beer like stella and newcastle brown. I always bottle a few of my brew in clear glass just so I can set them in the window and get that raspy flavor. But if you don't like it, simply use brown bottles or hide away your clear ones

I kinda pre-planned my gettin in to home brewing...and started saving my Franziskaner pint bottles.
Thinking back on all the bottles I threw out in the past...:smack:

I kinda pre-planned my gettin in to home brewing...and started saving my Franziskaner pint bottles.
Thinking back on all the bottles I threw out in the past...:smack:

Don't worry, once people find out you brew, the bottles just come to you. I've NEVER had to buy bottles, nobody should, they're so easy to get free or just for the price of the beer that once occupied them

Wish I knew where to get them for free or had friends who GAVE THEM BACK when I gave them free beer. My return rate isn't that good. I think I'm going to stop buying them empty and start buying cases of beer with beer IN THEM first....

Oh NO, never buy empty beer bottles when full ones are available. Even if you don't want to drink it, you can always pour it for your BMC-drinking friends and relatives.
:off:
My local grocery has a neat 'build-your-own 6 pack' feature. I use it to try singles of various styles to see if I like them and may want to brew something similar. I save the non-screwoff brown ones to add to my empties stash.

I went to my local pub and asked for there empties and they was happy to give them to me with boxes .all I need to do is pick up bottle caps and corks then pop in once a week and see what they got for me.

Back