bottles that can hold pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elleric

Reaction score
I've never bottled a wine, but soon I'll be bottling my first and making it sparkling.

I was considering going up to 3.5 volumes for some of them and I'll force carb so I might actually do some still and some with varied levels of carb but 3.5 world be the max.

My question is if I'll need a particular bottle or cork to handle this pressure? I know for beer brewing at that level of carbonation a normal beer bottle won't do and a Belgian bottle is needed.

It's there something like this for wine?

Yes, Champagne bottles can hold something like 120-130psi? Which is around 5.5-6 volumes.

But like you said, any bottle corked and caged is able to handle at least 4. Aiming at 3.5 as a high I would repurpose Belgian beer bottles.
If your aiming at 3 for a high then regular brown bottles would be fine, on the high side, but fine.
A plus side to the brown bottles is smaller serving sizes!

Well to be honest I would have just put it into Belgian bottles since I have a bunch already and beer gun... but there is a complication involved: my wife.

We made this batch together for Rosh Hashanah this year to drink and give as gifts next Rosh Hashanah. It's her first ferment every so it has to be 'pretty'. It's actually a cyser checking in at about 14% and not a wine. Traditional Rosh Hashanah fair is apples, honey and dates and living in New England it seemed like a good way to start a new tradition.

Back