Bottles Not Carbing Dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramstoker17

Reaction score
Hello All!

I have an Imperial Stout that I brewed back in the early spring. This beer was a beauty, I flavored it with espresso and all natural maple extract, then aged it on some bourbon and oak. The final ABV was 12.5% The beer came out great, but this thing will just not carbonate. In retrospect, given the high level of alcohol, I should have pitched fresh yeast at bottling.

It's been in the bottles for over three months and there's not even a hint of carbonation. I've tried keeping them in a warm spot and agitating the bottles and still nothing. I'm guessing the yeast still in suspension were too stressed from the ABV to carb this beer. I've searched this topic and saw that obviously patience is key, but I'm thinking time won't get this done.

I also checked the ingredient list of the maple extract and I didn't see anything that should prohibit the yeast from carbing this.

So here's my dilemma. Do I buy a pack of dry yeast and pop each bottle open and sprinkle fresh yeast in and recap and hope that works? I also have a keg setup, so do I flush a keg with C02, and try and gently as possible pour each bottle into the keg with as little agitation as possible? I'm sure it'll pickup some oxygen, but with this style and as strongly flavored as it is, I'm not sure I'd notice or not.

What would you all do in my shoes? Thanks!!! :mug:

I'd get a couple of packets of champagne yeast and pop the tops, sprinkle in, and re-crown.

Since it's a stout with coffee, you have a little insurance against oxidation.

What's the difference between maple extract and maple syrup? Is it just just the flavor?

I'd drink it flat! I don't mind a big stout that lacks carbonation.

I'd get a couple of packets of champagne yeast and pop the tops, sprinkle in, and re-crown.

Since it's a stout with coffee, you have a little insurance against oxidation.

What's the difference between maple extract and maple syrup? Is it just just the flavor?

I used Frontier Maple Flavoring in this. Its all natural and has a very authentic maple aroma and flavor. Normally I shy away from any sort of flavor extract, but this stuff is good.

There's just too many hassles with real maple. I didn't want this beer to dry out like crazy from all the sugar, plus the amount of maple I'd have to use to shine through in a beer this big would be stupid expensive.

I had a barley wine (11.2%) recently that didn't carb after 8 weeks. I took a pack of CBC-1, rehydrated it in boiled and cooled water. Using a sanitized plastic eye dropper I added a good squirt to each bottle. Worked like a charm; two weeks later it had carbonation, and in three weeks it was good. I thought it would be easier than messing with dry yeast clumping and sticking.

You did remember to add bottling sugar, right? If not, you can add that too.

You're at the high end for alcohol tolerance with US-05; dropping fresh yeast in a 12.5% environment might be too much for them. CBC-1, or a champagne yeast, has a higher tolerance and is likely to do better, faster.

I had a barley wine (11.2%) recently that didn't carb after 8 weeks. I took a pack of CBC-1, rehydrated it in boiled and cooled water. Using a sanitized plastic eye dropper I added a good squirt to each bottle. Worked like a charm; two weeks later it had carbonation, and in three weeks it was good. I thought it would be easier than messing with dry yeast clumping and sticking.

You did remember to add bottling sugar, right? If not, you can add that too.

You're at the high end for alcohol tolerance with US-05; dropping fresh yeast in a 12.5% environment might be too much for them. CBC-1, or a champagne yeast, has a higher tolerance and is likely to do better, faster.

another up-vote for CBC-1

and an up-vote for the eye-dropper suggestion.

10501624_10204579154742561_8262903903144860220_n.jpg

Back