bottles carbonated in 8 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff81

Reaction score
I decided to be inpatient and since i was out of beer (and beer money for that matter) i would crack open one of my IPAs early last night....to my surprise it was perfectly carbonated with a thick creamy head....in fact it was one of my best beers i brewed yet. So the only thing i did different this time was i used regular table sugar because i didn't have corn sugar. I looked it up and found a calculator that told me i should use 4.7 oz of table sugar to equal the carbonation of 5 oz of corn sugar. Is this wrong? Are my bottles gonna blow up? I did a three week secondary with no change in FG so i know it was done fermenting. Thanks!

No bottle bombs, my last batch I used table sugar I had the opposite problem. It took longer to carb. But it was my first strong scotch ale.

I almost always use table sugar, since it's much cheaper and I always have it around.

Every batch is different. Some beers will carbonate overnight, some will take 6 months. It's usually a function of ABV, and if you live where it's very warm, things happen a lot faster. The "3 weeks at 70 degrees" rule that we like to spew out is a good rule of thumb for most beers. Although it may be carbonated, it's probably still a little "green" and might taste better in another week.

Is there such a thing as too warm when bottle carbonating? I did have my cases of this ipa that's carbonated and a case of stout that i used corn sugar near the heater. The stout is flat btw.

For carbonating not really, within reason (if it's parked at a continuous 100 degrees I might worry). But warmer temperatures aren't ideal for long term storage/conditioning. If you have a cooler location (basement?) it's best to move it there after you're sure it's carbed up. Since hop flavor and aroma are so volatile, I'd move the IPA away from the heater in a week or two and drink it up as fresh as you can.

Back