Bottleing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis2008

Reaction score
I am finally ready to bottle ive got 12 16 oz bottles to cap but i have all of these growlers that i have been collecting and would like to use. the directions with my beer kit say to never use screw on type bottles. what does a guy do?

I have heard from everyone that bottling in growlers is a big no-no, however I have never heard from anyone that has actually done it.

I lean away from it, but that day will come.

In the meantime I have one of these, with another one on the way for planned mods to the screw on cap for CO2. Mini Keg Growler

Don't do it. They are not rated for that kind of pressure. I've never done it but everything I've read about it says they are not for bottle conditioning.

I am finally ready to bottle ive got 12 16 oz bottles to cap but i have all of these growlers that i have been collecting and would like to use. the directions with my beer kit say to never use screw on type bottles. what does a guy do?

Buy a couple cases of Sierra Nevada or something, and invite your friends over to help drink them. Save the bottles, wash and use for homebrew. :D

You could buy bottles from your LHBS, but it's more fun and not much more expensive to get your bottles with beer already in them. Avoid twist-offs.

Forget using growlers for homebrew. They can leak and your beer will go flat. For all the work involved making your homebrew, why risk it when bottles are cheap?

I've never used a growler for bottling. I've read, but others ought to confirm or correct this, that often the glass in a growler isn't thick/strong enough to withstand the pressure that accrues during bottle conditioning.

Honestly, you're better off with plastic coke bottles than growlers if you want 2-liter vessels. Just keep them in paper bags, hobo style, to keep the light out.

Ive been washing returnables like crazy looks like im gonna go that route.i am however gonna fill one growler to see what happens hopefully it doesnt blow if it leaks then ill just get a chance to drink sooner flat or not

My brother-in-law had one burst in his garage, he said he was pulling glass out of the rafters above him.

If you're going to do it, keep it in a plastic tote or box so no one gets hurt by chance.

Latest posts

Back