Bottled yesterday - uneasy about the taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhythm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I just bottled yesterday, the NB German Blonde Ale 1 gallon extract recipe, and had a question due to the taste. I noticed that the taste was a bit 'harsh' (I don't really know how to describe it well). It definitely tasted like beer, but made me want to 'pucker' just a bit when tasting it. I don't know if it will mellow with conditioning, but in case it doesn't I'm hoping I can figure out what may have happened. Because of that, I attached a picture of the surface of the beer. There's some bubbles, and I figured it was probably normal stuff and not an infection, but wanted to post anyway because the taste seemed a bit off. The FG was 1.010, and I was told to expect between 1.013 and 1.011, so it was pretty close. Only other thing I was thinking is that I used water from our tap through the refrigerator filter, and it does not filter out 100% of the chlorine and chloramine. But it's an extract recipe so I thought it might not matter so much.

Anyway, does the pic look pretty normal to you?

Thanks,
Greg

blonde_ale_surface.jpg

What are we looking at? Or through - that white stuff? As for the ale, it does look a bit "ropey", but assuming the white stuff has nothing to do the beer, is at least mold free. Bubbles are pretty normal even with finished brews. Little pockets of yeast will often hang around and float near the top after producing a little CO2 bubble. Usually they'll head back down with a gentle swirl to separate them from the bubble.

As for taste, it's not uncommon to have an "off" flavor if there's still a lot of yeast in suspension. You might consider cold crashing, or just waiting another weak at cooler temps to see if things clear up and taste better.

Other questions: Did you raise the temp towards the end of ferm to allow the yeast to clean things up? What temp did you ferment at?

We're here to help, but need a bit more info.
Pete

It will definitely taste "worse" at bottling. The beer is still "green" or young and needs some time to condition under carbonation.

The picture you posted is (to my noob eyes) a little suspect... looks like the start of an infection MAYBE. It's kind of hard to tell.

When you siphoned, was there a film that broke up on top of the beer? If it did, it would looks like chunks of ice on a lake or something and it breaks apart but doesn't dissipate when agitated. I don't want to alarm you, so I would wait for some other comments.

With your description of the taste where you want to pucker and that photo, I'd say there is a chance it is the beginning stages of an infection, a beautiful one, but still one.

If it is, the bottles could be under more pressure than normal and might end up breaking. It is hard to say and I am only assuming you have the onset of an infection.

The beer in the photo does not look normal. If it has gone through several weeks of fermentation, it should be relatively clear. At least per my experience. I normally primary for two weeks and secondary for two and the results are really clear beer. You don't always have to ferment for that long, I did a Honey Blonde and after 3 days, airlock activity stopped and after the 6th day I took a gravity reading, it was where I needed it to be, all krausen had fallen and the beer was remarkably clear, so I kegged it. First time in my brewing history I went from brew kettle to keg in 6 days. I've never bottled or kegged a beer that looks like yours, and though fermented beer tastes different than carbonated beer, you shouldn't be puckering. Once conditioned, I would expect most of what your seeing to drop out of suspension and give a different appearance, if you can tolerate the taste, drink it up. Throwing away beer is a violation of the law in most countries world wide. You don't want to risk the jail time ;)

Is that picture taken down a bottleneck? It's pretty weird.
Could you be dealing with a vinegar infection (an acetyl bacteria)?
Since you have already bottled it there isn't much to do now but wait and sample. I would treat the batch as possible bottom bombs if they were still bubbling and/or may be infected. So put your cases of beer in garbage bags and let us know how it turns out.

The white stuff you're looking past in the photo is just krausen remnants stuck to the inside of the carboy neck from some blow-off activity early in the fermentation.

The beer had been in primary just over three weeks, and it appeared that there was no activity or change in appearance for the final 10 days or so. Unfortunately it's too late to cold crash or wait any longer...I went ahead and bottled it. The beer actually appeared pretty clear when looking through it when it was still in the carboy.

The fermentation temp ranged from 17C to 18C (62.5F to 64.5F), and I raised it up about 2 degrees F the last couple of days it was in the fermenter.

For another perspective, I've attached a picture to this post showing what it looked like several days before I removed the carboy from the mini-fridge. It looked the same when it was bottling time.

Lastly, after I took the picture in the original post, I did gently rock the carboy back and forth (not enough to really stir anything up), and I noticed later that most of the bubbles appeared be gone (I suppose some of them may have gone near the perimeter, where I would not be able to see them because of the krausen stuck to the glass).

Greg

Blonde_Ale_16days.jpg

The white stuff you're looking past in the photo is just krausen remnants stuck to the inside of the carboy neck from some blow-off activity early in the fermentation.

The beer had been in primary just over three weeks, and it appeared that there was no activity or change in appearance for the final 10 days or so. Unfortunately it's too late to cold crash or wait any longer...I went ahead and bottled it. The beer actually appeared pretty clear when looking through it when it was still in the carboy.

The fermentation temp ranged from 17C to 18C (62.5F to 64.5F), and I raised it up about 2 degrees F the last couple of days it was in the fermenter.

For another perspective, I've attached a picture to this post showing what it looked like several days before I removed the carboy from the mini-fridge. It looked the same when it was bottling time.

Lastly, after I took the picture in the original post, I did gently rock the carboy back and forth (not enough to really stir anything up), and I noticed later that most of the bubbles appeared be gone (I suppose some of them may have gone near the perimeter, where I would not be able to see them because of the krausen stuck to the glass).

Greg

This picture looks like your beer is still at high krausen and much to early to bottle.
Post your recipe, yeast used, fermentation temperature, and the fermentation timeline.

The picture in the original post looks like a pellicle, which would indicate infection. As would the "puckering" taste. If you enjoy the taste just check the bottles earlier than normal for carbonation level. Once it is carbed throw them all in the fridge and drink quickly. SG of 1.010 leaves a lot of residual dextrins for the bugs to chew on and could lead to bottle bombs.
Good luck and congrats on what may be your first sour beer.

The picture in the original post looks like a pellicle, which would indicate infection. As would the "puckering" taste. If you enjoy the taste just check the bottles earlier than normal for carbonation level. Once it is carbed throw them all in the fridge and drink quickly. SG of 1.010 leaves a lot of residual dextrins for the bugs to chew on and could lead to bottle bombs.
Good luck and congrats on what may be your first sour beer.

Exactly what I was thinking...also the results of my first brew.

flars, all of that krausen is just residual stuck on the glass from the early stages of fermentation when it was going crazy and I had to use a blow-off tube because krausen was getting into the airlock. The surface of the beer looked like the picture in the original post.

rupert130, you mention that FG of 1.010 indicates a condition that could lead to bottle bombs. The folks who provided the kit told me that the FG should be between 1.011 and 1.013, so since my FG was slightly lower I figured I was pretty safe.

If this is an infection then I'm kinda bummed because I thought I was pretty careful all along the way. I'm not sure what I'd do differently next time as far as sanitation goes.

Perhaps in the end the beer will be OK...we'll see.

Thanks,
Greg

Now that I've opened up a cold one, I thought I'd post an update on this brew. I decided not to rush things and take my chances that things would be fairly normal with the rest of the process. After bottling, I let the bottles sit at room temperature for 3 weeks (in a cooler in case there was a bomb). Then they sat in the fridge for 2 more weeks until I opened one.

Opening and pouring seemed normal - the beer looked like normal beer and the carbonation level seemed just about right. Very little sediment at the bottom of the bottle as well.

Taste - Overall, I liked how it came out. I did notice just a bit of an off flavor in there somewhere, but it's subtle enough that I'm having a hard time describing it. Based on some of the descriptions that I've read and what I remember of the taste, there's a good chance that it's acetaldehyde. So I'm going to wait another week before cracking open the second bottle to see if it settles out. It definitely didn't make me want to pucker.

So overall I'm pleased, considering on how it tasted to me before bottling. In a week I'll see what the next bottle brings.

Greg

Now that I've opened up a cold one, I thought I'd post an update on this brew. I decided not to rush things and take my chances that things would be fairly normal with the rest of the process. After bottling, I let the bottles sit at room temperature for 3 weeks (in a cooler in case there was a bomb). Then they sat in the fridge for 2 more weeks until I opened one.

Opening and pouring seemed normal - the beer looked like normal beer and the carbonation level seemed just about right. Very little sediment at the bottom of the bottle as well.

Taste - Overall, I liked how it came out. I did notice just a bit of an off flavor in there somewhere, but it's subtle enough that I'm having a hard time describing it. Based on some of the descriptions that I've read and what I remember of the taste, there's a good chance that it's acetaldehyde. So I'm going to wait another week before cracking open the second bottle to see if it settles out. It definitely didn't make me want to pucker.

So overall I'm pleased, considering on how it tasted to me before bottling. In a week I'll see what the next bottle brings.

Greg

Greg,

I started brewing about a year and a half ago and I've done close to 30 batches now. So I'm still very new at this but I know a lot more now than I did during my first few attempts. Anyway, I almost always come up with something I think I did "wrong" and in the end it always ends up okay. I've leaned to relax and not worry so much but I still usually come up with something that I should have done better.
Also, I don't even bother tasting while bottling anymore. I've experienced some pretty crappy tasting beers at bottling that end up being great in a month. The taste is so different sometimes, it's hard to believe it's the same beer. I've had IPA's that were so bitter, I had to check my recipe to see if I unintentionally added 5 ounces instead of .5 or something. But they always get better. In fact, the last one is usually the best.
Keep it up and don't be surprised if it turns into an obsession.

I opened another one 2-3 weeks after having the first one and it was pretty much the same. Overall it was quite drinkable and pretty good beer, but does have just a little 'something' about it that I'd like to adjust/correct next time if I can. Right after pouring, it almost seemed to have too much of a 'fizzy' or 'carbonated' taste to it (if that makes any sense), which mellowed out a lot after letting it sit in the glass for several minutes. The beer did not appear to be over-carbonated, judging by the head. When drinking it, I liked it but there is some kind of flavor in there that I can't identify but would love to, just for the education. I'm hoping I can get with a more experienced home brewer some time soon and let he/she have a bottle and see if they can identify if it's an ester or something else in particular. Overall, though, it came out much better than my previous effort, and that's because I was able to identify some specific things that I did wrong the first time, and corrected them this time.

Thanks for the replies.

Greg

Is it possible the slight off taste could be a hop flavor? I am sure us home brewers use a lot more hop varieties and combination than the regular commercial beer uses.

I've found, as I'm sure others have, that different hop & malt combos can give slightly different flavors than usual when in combination. Plus yeast esters in some yeasts can change depending on whether it was brewed cooler or warmer. Can you describe the flavor a bit more accurately?

I have brewed this same batch and it did taste funky at bottling. After 3 weeks sitting and 3 days in the fridge, it is a pretty tasty beer. My red headed wife liked it and she doesn't like anything!;) It's been a few more weeks now and it is even a little bit better now. Don't rush it.

Finally getting back to the thread...thanks for the latest replies. The beer was allowed to sit in the bottles (room temp and in the fridge) for many weeks before opening up the first one. The last couple I drank were two weeks apart and they were pretty much the same, so I'm thinking it may not change from this point on. It is pretty good beer; there's just a little 'something' that seems just a bit off. This weekend I'll open another one, which will make several weeks more so it will be a good check to see if anything more is going to change.

Mismost, what were your pitching and fermenting temps (I'm assuming you used the Safale US-05 yeast that comes with this kit)?

unionrdr, I wish I could do better at describing the taste. The 'off-flavor' (if that's even what it is) is pretty subtle and I'm having a heck of a time putting my finger on it. I'm hoping I have the chance to have a more experienced home brewer taste one of these sometime and see what they tell me. I will be drinking another one this weekend and I'll do my best to pin down some kind of description.

In the meantime, it's time to get another brew day going!

Greg

Back