Bottled vs Kegged..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like variety. I can only put two kegs in my small chest freezer. Winter time is awesome as I can put 8 kegs in the basement hatchway which rarely goes < 25°F even in the coldest New England weather, giving me a great walk in keezer. Unfortunately, in summertime, no such luck. I prefer the kegs, but do have to chill the bejeezus out of them to be able to bottle easily. I tried the Last Straw filler and it and I did not get along. Easier to simply chill, attach silicone hose to end of tap (Perlick or picnic), put in bottle and fill with low pressure on keg, cap. Or use swing tops. I also push from keg to another to eliminate any sediment when transporting kegs to tennis cuz there's always some sediment after a few weeks.

I was just saying that you don't have to plop all the money down at once to get into kegging.
I don't really mind bottling either. But it is nice to be able to go to the fridge with a glass and just pull a handle to get a beer.
Bottling is like my "control" of how often I brew or I'd surely be out of control and brew everything under the sun I could get my hands on. Once I'm close to having 2 cases of bottles empty and ready, I brew again.

Bottling is like my "control" of how often I brew or I'd surely be out of control and brew everything under the sun I could get my hands on. Once I'm close to having 2 cases of bottles empty and ready, I brew again.

When I was bottling only, that didn't work for me. I would just gather more bottles. At one point I had over 700 bottles

When I was bottling only, that didn't work for me. I would just gather more bottles. At one point I had over 700 bottles
My brewing station is half in my basement -storage and brewed beer,half in my polebarn -where my rig is powered .
I keep a couple cases freed up ,but I still gather/hoard newly empty longnecks for replacing broken/chipped bottles. But If I had to put a number on bottles, itd be 400-450.
I read so many posts on -
leaking keg systems,
out of CO2( I actually live in a half dry county so I dont have access) ,
cant get pressure right,
cleaning tubing,
regulators, etc.

Besides not having a keezer. I already have a high enough electric bill .

I'm comfortably in the bottling mode . Yes it's tedious ,but it gives me something to do for an hour and a half.
I know by now what to do and what to expect.
I've gone from using priming sugar to kraeusening and its already better IMO.
I own one keg -5 gallon Coca-Cola , pin lock style,I'm guessing its a cornelius??. I'd actually like to get rid of it if anyone in the Marshall/Jackson county area of NE Alabama is interested. cash or trade.

Back