Bottled some chocolate mead today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garlicbee

Reaction score
It is 2 years old, made with cocoa and cocoa nibs (cant rightly remember)
Lovely colour, taste good!

I'd be interested in the recipe too...
Also, was it in an airlocked carboy that whole 2yrs?

Will have to dig out the recipe but it had cocoa nibs in it. It looked like it might have mold on top (picts in another thread) but it was just foam....
Started out in large carboy then most of thr 2 years in small ones.

Really bad notes, but recipe came from a thread about chocolate mead on this site (thread had nice picts of different kinds of chocolate mead in productions)

12 lbs of honey heated with 1/2 c cocoa to mix
2 tsp each nutrient and energizer
5tsp cream tartar
5 gallon carboy
K1V1116 yeast
Racked over 1 c of organic cocoa nibs at about 1 month

Hope that helps!

MMMMM..... I'm gonna have to try that one!! ;)

QUOTE=garlicbee;6441454]Really bad notes, but recipe came from a thread about chocolate mead on this site (thread had nice picts of different kinds of chocolate mead in productions)

12 lbs of honey heated with 1/2 c cocoa to mix
2 tsp each nutrient and energizer
5tsp cream tartar
5 gallon carboy
K1V1116 yeast
Racked over 1 c of organic cocoa nibs at about 1 month

Hope that helps![/QUOTE]

I did the following with my chocalate recipe:

1 gallon honey (use a light bodied honey)
22 pounds honey (White Clover)

4 gallons water
Add water to bring to 5 gallons[/COLOR]

If you prefer your mead boiled, do so before adding any cocoa from this recipe as the foaming will remove the chocolate from the mix. Boiling is optional in mead and if you would like the pro’s and con’s, please ask. I personally boil nothing in mead making.

To your standard must, before adding the yeast, add 16 oz of Cocoa Powder (Nestles works great). Mix well before adding yeast. You will notice a lag in the start of the yeast; however this is common and due to the oils in cocoa. It will start bubbling madly in a few days, but never as much as normal mead.

Use Dutch processed cocoa powder (will help reduce time needed to erase bitterness) (Ghirardelli Sweet Ground Cocoa)

So breaking it down I used:
21 lbs White Clover Honey
Enough water to bring to 5 gallons
16 ounces Ghirardelli Sweet Ground Cocoa
1 lbs honey added to .5 gallon to create a starter (used the Lavlin d-47)
then staggered yeast nutrients.

Primary was stated on 9/14/2014
Moved to secondary on 10/17/2014

can't seem to find my Hydrometer notes but it is a sweet mead and has a semi-bitter chocolate taste going now but I expect that to mellow over time.
I have been told this is something to let set for a year 2 would be better.

Michael

Whoa Nelly... That is 4.25 lbs of sugar per gallon or more than about 20% alcohol by volume if it could ferment out.. D-47 can tolerate about 14% ABV so I suspect that your mead is going to be more like a desert drink than something you might want to drink by the jar.

Whoa Nelly... That is 4.25 lbs of sugar per gallon or more than about 20% alcohol by volume if it could ferment out.. D-47 can tolerate about 14% ABV so I suspect that your mead is going to be more like a desert drink than something you might want to drink by the jar.

I do like me mead sweet and this on is definitely going to be for sipping....

Latest posts

Back