Bottled from keg, producing all foam after storage.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeimbibe

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I don't post here enough but have learned plenty from the various questions/techniques posted here. I've been searching this site as well as others regarding my issue. I'm not finding a definite answer so I figured I would describe my process and maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

Here is the basic workflow:
1. beer in corny keg carbonated normally and ready for bottling.
2. I attach my picnic tap and modified racking cane (45 degree cut) to keg.
3. Cut CO2 line off.
4. Release pressure from regulator and set to ~4-5 psi.
5. Purge keg.
6. Insert cane into bottle (bottle may be cold or room temp).
7. Proceed to fill to brim of bottle and remove cane.
8. Cap accordingly.
9. If beer is foamy or coming out too fast I purge the keg, leaving the regulator alone.

So I've had mixed results using this method.
MOST of my beers using this method, are properly carbed and have held a carb for roughly a year.
However some when opened do NOT bomb, but when poured are almost all foam.
While researching the prevalent answer is that there is a containment in either the bottle or that there is continued fermentation in the bottle.
My normal procedure before siphoning to keg is to sit in the primary for a month or at least 3 weeks.
The last brew I made that was foamy after being stored for several months was a Milk Stout that was pitched on an existing yeast cake. The brew was allowed to site for 19 days before being siphoned into the keg. I then let it sit over a month in the keg before cold crashing/carbing.
-
I would like to be able to properly fill bottles from a keg and feel confident they won't turn into this fizzy nightmare.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't think there is any chance that you are still getting a significant amount of fermentation in the bottles, especially after waiting for so long.
What is your storage like after bottling? Are they in a fridge, or at room temp? If at room temp, how long do you chill before opening?

Hi,

I'm trying this from the mobile app so let me know if it doesn't appear correctly...

I normally store in my pantry which won't get hotter than 75 and stays roughly 70.
I have opened in one day and opened in a month in the fridge with similar results.

I'm also wondering if being close to the bottom or the corny has anything to do with it?

Thanks for replying.

I'm leaning towards contamination. I botte from the keg a lot, but usually drink the beer pretty fast. For this reason, I don't sanitize my bottles anymore. They're clean, just not sanitized. Occasionally I'll lose track of a bottle somewhere and it'll sit around for a good length of time at room temp. Same thing, pop the top and it boils over like a volcano. They usually taste a little different when this happens too.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't really have a problem with gushers that's what is odd to me.
My issue is that when I pour I pour nothing but foam and let the cup sit idle. When I do this I get roughly a quarter of the cup containing beer. This is after 10 minutes of waiting.
When I drink straight from the bottle it taste the same as when poured.
The taste is like fizzy or blubbly. The beer has bubbles racing to the top when poured into a cup. Doesn't taste vinegary or anything like that..

Maybe it is a gusher but not quite there. I had a buddy I gave a brown I partial mashes and he said it was a bomb but I've never confirmed this personally.

If it is infected during the bottling process I'd like to point out two things. One is I collect like most everyone and sanitize using a one step solution then chilled in the freezer. The other thing is that I don't ever sanitize my bottle caps. I always keep the bottles upright when stored.

Thanks for replying, I'm hoping its just a lack of sanitation and I'm just being lazy or missing a step.

Try using star san and start sanitizing your caps. One step is not the greatest sanitizer.

Thanks for the reply.

Have you had any experience with gushers and if so could you describe the taste or the look of the salvageable beer?

Thanks for the reply.

Have you had any experience with gushers and if so could you describe the taste or the look of the salvageable beer?

Yeah, I've had a couple gushers. Like I mentioned before, because I didn't sanitize my bottles. It tasted slightly, cidery, vinegery. It was still drinkable, but badly overcarbed. Pretty dry too. Looked the same, nice and clear.

Ok the over carbed taste and mouthfeel is what I was looking for. I'm guessing since it was only a handful it was the bottles but regardless ill keep a closer eye and invest in some solid cleaners.

Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back