Bottled DIPA not carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth_Malt

Reaction score
A few months ago i bottled my first DIPA, and the beer is still flat as can be. The beer was 1.085 OG, i added 1 lb of corn sugar after fermentation started, and it finished at 1.008. It didn't spend a long time in the carboy (no longer than some other beers I've brewed), i was hoping to just let it condition in the bottles.
I'm guessing the WLP001 Cali Ale just crapped out on me with the 10+% ABV and isn't strong enough to finish the process. But this would mean i have to go through and uncap all the bottles and add yeast to them.
Has anyone had to wait longer than 3-4 months for a big-ish beer to carb? Maybe there's still hope? Or should i just go get some champagne yeast and get to opening bottles?

After a few months, you should have some carbonation. Did you add corn sugar to prime? At 1.008, your beer is pretty dry, so there might not be enough sugar for your yeast to do its thing (the remaining sugars are likely unfermentable).

I did add corn sugar to prime. I don't have my notes nearby so not sure how much exactly.

I had an imperial pumpkin, had the same issue, added a couple grains of Belgian dry yeast to each bottle, re-capped, carbed up in a month or so.

I have this same issue right now with a two hearted clone. Primary for 2 weeks, secondary 2 weeks and dry hopped last week of secondary. Primed with 5oz of corn sugar and bottled. Been sitting over 2 weeks and is a flat as the day I bottled it. I'm giving get it another week and then I'm going to try adding a couple grains of yeast to each bottle as stated above.

Latest posts

Back