Bottled a week ago, sediment/swirliness in bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkrules6

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Brewer's best APA, primary for a week, secondary for a week and a half, and now it has been bottled carbonating for a week. The temperature of the bottles has been monitored constantly between 64 and 67 degrees F, and I believe I am now ready to try one out to test carbonation. However, I pulled one out and swirled it around a bit and there is a bit of thin sediment on the bottom of the bottle. It kicked up and hung in the beer for a bit, and had sort of a different refraction as the beer. Is this just still some yeast? or possibly an infection? When I drink it should I just decant it into a glass?

Thanks,
Dave

1) You're not ready to test carbonation. Any carbonation needs to be absorbed by the beer which a best bet is three weeks in the bottle. Give it some time.

2) The sediment is normal for bottle carbed beers. You added more sugar so the yeast is continuing to ferment to make your carbonation and the sediment is just the natural by product. Don't shake them before drink, pour them into a glass and leave the last bit of you're striving for clarity. The sediment will not have any impact on taste.

Completely normal. Yes, it is yeast. That's what is carbing your bottles. Decant the beer leaving the yeast in the bottle. Use the shoulder of the bottle to hold it back (which is why a beer bottle has a neck.) I'd be surprised if it is carbed up already. Usually takes about three weeks. But, can't hurt to sample eh? :cross:

I had to try one, it is my virgin batch. It was great. However, all of you were right. It needs another week or two of carbing. Thanks for the help.

At two weeks or so (don't pretend that you're not going to open another one, we've all been there :) ), you'll get a lot of foam that quickly goes flat.

The CO2 is produced in the first few days to a week, but it is the absorption of the gas into the beer that you're waiting on. Even with kegs, it's optimal to wait a couple of weeks for the same reasons. You're waiting on absorption, not fermentation.

Latest posts

Back