Bottlecap question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIGMAN

Reaction score
After capping my bottles, I found that if I put a lot of pressure on them to turn, they will. They don't turn easily, it takes some force. Is this normal? Happy Thanksgiving.:mug:

I'm guessing you're talking about plastic bottles right? If so, then yeah, they can get insanely tight. I typically bottle in glass now with a bench capper but ran out of available bottles for an amber ale I made and used my backup Cooper's PET bottles. Now to open them I have to use a towel or destroy the skin on the palm of my hand. They're a pain to open now heh. I tightened them nicely but you have to remember the carbonation that is created in the bottle also increases the pressure and makes them tighter.

Rev.

The bottle caps will spin on glass bottles too if you try hard enough. Usually right after you bottle because of the sanitizer on the bottles is still wet and slippery. So, best advice.....don't mess with them, lol.

The bottle caps will spin on glass bottles too if you try hard enough. Usually right after you bottle because of the sanitizer on the bottles is still wet and slippery. So, best advice.....don't mess with them, lol.

Thanks Hammy, makes sense, never considered the wet sanitizer. Tonight, they wouldn't turn at all, I guess the sanitizer dried.:mug:

Try using your vagina to grab the caps.
I'm hammered, leave me be :)

Back