Bottle Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan.therrien

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy,

I have been using carbonation drops for over a year with varying success. I don't think they work for "every" beer.. I ONLY bottle condition (because i give out the bottles) and am very concerned about my next few batches.. especially my first Lager coming up.

Would I be better off transferring to a bottling bucket and then adding a simple syrup? (homemade granular melted down in water). If so, how do i mix it in the bucket without adding too much oxygen? And how do i know how much sugar to add? I know some beers specify different carb levels, is there a "rule of thumb" chart?

Any help is appreciated!

Would I be better off transferring to a bottling bucket and then adding a simple syrup? (homemade granular melted down in water). If so, how do i mix it in the bucket without adding too much oxygen? And how do i know how much sugar to add? I know some beers specify different carb levels, is there a "rule of thumb" chart?
There are a number of techniques for dosing individual bottles (that don't involve a bottling bucket). Sugar cubes (e.g. Domino Dots) apparently can still be found in the right size for a 12 oz bottle. Another option would be to mix a concentrated sugar solution and use an 'eye dropper' to add the solution to each bottle.

Scan 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE! (starting in about 2017) for details (and probably some additional approaches that I've overlooked). IIRC, some of the posts include details for different carb levels.

I may be overboard but when I do bottle prime I add my priming water in 3 steps . At the very beginning , about the middle and almost at the end of transferring to the bottle bucket .

I may be overboard but when I do bottle prime I add my priming water in 3 steps . At the very beginning , about the middle and almost at the end of transferring to the bottle bucket .
Yeah, that's about the same for me. I use a little more water than spec in my priming solution to reduce the chance of it not mixing well.(viscosity and all that) Valid or not I have yet had a issue with inconsistent carbing. Carbing "levels"',,that's another issue, but no major problems there either.

Joel B.

Easiest method = Funnel in 1/2tsp of regular white sugar in each 12oz bottle. That's it... perfect carbonation in every bottle. I've been doing this for years :)

How do you sanitize (and dry) the funnel?

I might be a little OCD, but I have a similar concern about carbonation drops, whatever the brand. Sure, they're clean, but I'm concerned about them being brewing clean (sanitized). Microbes could be falling on the product in the factory. I use regular table sugar out of the kitchen canister and boil it in water for ten minutes - then I'm confident it's ok.

Easiest method = Funnel in 1/2tsp of regular white sugar in each 12oz bottle. That's it... perfect carbonation in every bottle. I've been doing this for years :)
I have always used corn sugar for priming. I have a bunch of granulated (cane/white) sugar which I want to use up. Is there any difference between the 2 when used for priming? Do you same amount? Thanks.

I have always used corn sugar for priming. I have a bunch of granulated (cane/white) sugar which I want to use up. Is there any difference between the 2 when used for priming? Do you same amount? Thanks.

With table sugar (sucrose) you use a little less. Consult any of the online priming sugar calculators (like the one linked in post #2) or the one built into whatever brewing software you might be using.

That's the sugar I am referencing (cane/white sugar - The type of sugar that you use for your tea, coffee, ...). 1/2tsp per 12oz bottle

I begin with my funnel sanitized before I begin, fit the funnel in each bottle in turn, add the 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in the funnel, then wash it it with the beer. Fit the top, give it a good shake and put to one side. Once all are filled, I give each another shake and store away. To get my 1/2 teaspoon just right, I made an 1/2 teaspoon measure calibrated so when levelled, it produces the exact weight of sugar for the 1/2 teaspoon like a pan shape. I was concerned that teaspoons are a rather crude measure at best.

I begin with my funnel sanitized before I begin, fit the funnel in each bottle in turn, add the 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in the funnel, then wash it it with the beer. Fit the top, give it a good shake and put to one side. Once all are filled, I give each another shake and store away. To get my 1/2 teaspoon just right, I made an 1/2 teaspoon measure calibrated so when levelled, it produces the exact weight of sugar for the 1/2 teaspoon like a pan shape. I was concerned that teaspoons are a rather crude measure at best.

I don't shake. Was told to let them sit for a week then give them a spin.

Shaking apparently oxidizes the beer.

I don't shake. Was told to let them sit for a week then give them a spin.

Shaking apparently oxidizes the beer.
Sorry, I should have said - I use plastic bottles and as I fit the cap, I squeeze them to expel any air above the surface.

Back