Bottle Priming Amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharaohpierre

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey,

Today I am bottling 2.5 gallons of a standard English Brown Ale. Beersmith suggests I bottle at 2.3 Volumes, which is 1.81 oz. of corn sugar. However, when I put 2.3 Volumes into the Brewersfriend.com priming calculator at 74F it suggests I use 2.2 oz. of corn sugar. My question is what would you do and why is there a discrepancy?

my calculator on my phone says 2.06 oz of corn sugar at 74 degrees. If it were me I'd just go with what beersmith says. Check your temps and other details in beersmith too.
I usually just go with what this phone app says because I'm too lazy to go downstairs to look plug it into beersmith. I've never had any issues.

My beersmith is showing the priming temp at app. 70F. which is not too far off to make such a big difference in priming sugar amount. I think we can all conclude that 2.3 volumes is a good number. However, with all these different calculators I just don't know how much corn sugar that is. I just took the average and dumped around 2 oz. into the bottling bucket. Hopefully in a few weeks things will be good

Back