Bottle prep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbeav

Reaction score
I am new to the homebrewing...we brew our first batch a few weeks ago and checked with a hudrometer today. It was 68 degrees, 4.9 alc level and 1.016 weight. Our plan is to check it again around the same time tomorrow. It is a malt extract and looksand smells great. If it stays the same temp n weight am i ok to bottle?
he same at that temperature and wight, i am i ok to bottle, or should i wait until it gets lower? Thanks for your feedback[/QUOTE]

Wait 3 days before taking the next reading. If that one is the same, bottle 'em up.

unionrdr said:
Depending on the OG,1.016 could still be a little high. What was the OG?

Never took OG on that batch...just did second batch of a different kind and that OG was 1.095. Retested first batch today and it was 1.011. Like i said that was our first brew and we made some mistakes and are learning.

Looks like my assumptions were correct. It may get down to 1.010. I had a 1.060 get down to 1.010 a week ago Sunday.

unionrdr said:
Loks like my assumptions were correct. It may get down to 1.010. I had a 1.060 get down to 1.010 a week ago Sunday.

Were going to test again thursday or friday, but i think we should e good either way to bottle on sunday, right?

unionrdr said:
If it stays at 1.011 or 1,010,it's most likely done. That's fairly typical ime.

Ok, thank you for your help, i will let you know what happens.

Bottled on Sunday at 1.010. All seems pretty good so far. Cant wait until i can crack one open, thanks for the help.

unionrdr said:
If it stays at 1.011 or 1.010,it's most likely done. That's fairly typical ime.

Stuck 1 in fridge saturday nite and had one to celebrate fathers day. Came out tasting great, wish ot had just a little more carbination and more of a head, it was only about 1/4" head. And im thinking it should have been a little lighter, but i dont know. Thanks again for your help.

image-502022381.jpg

brewbeav said:
Stuck 1 in fridge saturday nite and had one to celebrate fathers day. Came out tasting great, wish ot had just a little more carbination and more of a head, it was only about 1/4" head. And im thinking it should have been a little lighter, but i dont know. Thanks again for your help.

One week later! Bottleing 2nd batch 2day!

image-1921261188.jpg

unionrdr said:
Now that's more like it! Better head on that one. How's the carbonation & flavor?

Everything about it is great! Especially considering its our 1st one. I do have a question for you...is there a rule of thumb for when its good to bottle? Were just going off ass long as it stays the same for three days. The 1 that will be bottled today has an OG of 1.095. Its now 1.030 and been fermenting for three weeks as of today. Any tips on how i can kind of figure it out before hand?

Everything about it is great! Especially considering its our 1st one. I do have a question for you...is there a rule of thumb for when its good to bottle? Were just going off ass long as it stays the same for three days. The 1 that will be bottled today has an OG of 1.095. Its now 1.030 and been fermenting for three weeks as of today. Any tips on how i can kind of figure it out before hand?

Yeah,the FG hs to be stable for three days to be sure. But the recipe should give OG/FG as well. Brew calculators do as well.

Back