Bottle or Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassmosphere

Reaction score
I've brewed a chocolate stout (2nd week fermenting), and the fermentation activity has slowed down so there is maybe one set of bubbles every five or ten minutes.

I think it is ready to bottle or keg. Now, I don't really want to bottle it. I have 4 corny kegs for the purpose of dispensing beer, however I haven't gotten the C02 tank or quick release valves yet. Should I leave it in the carboy until I am ready with the CO2, Bottle it now, or put it in the keg now?

You need to take a hydrometer sample and find out your FG number. You can certainly leave it in the primary waiting for keg parts to show up. Many of use do extended primary aging.

If it was me, I'd leave it in the carboy. I'm in the camp of longer primaries (I do 4 weeks routinely), but, personally, I wouldn't want to keg it without being able to purge the head space with CO2.

Latest posts

Back