Bottle of sludge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O-Ale-Yeah

Reaction score
I run everything through a pretty fine filter before primary fermentation but no filter when bottling to avoid oxygenating. Every bottle is pretty clear a few weeks later aside from a bit of yeast in the bottom. One bottle however for some reason has quite a bit of dark solid matter. Drink it or toss it out? :)

Pour what you can off the top. Unless you suspect the sludge is something gross.

I never filter at any stage. My bottles get a slight layer on the bottom. I pour into the glass carefully, all but the last little bit. There may be a tablespoon left in the worst of the bottles.

Maybe the questionable bottle was the last of the batch. It could have sediment that got stirred up when emptying the bottling bucket. Smell it when you pour, and look close - maybe you can tell what the dark solid material is.

This was my 5th batch. First time this has happened. I sipped carefully and it tasted great but I'm not drinking the last drink. ;)

Attachments

• 0721191656.jpg
    0721191656.jpg
    978.1 KB · Views: 72
Back