Bottle from keg for the poorest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marchio-93

Reaction score
Hello! I have two Co2 cylinders available, but only one keg. I want to bottle (first time from keg) for a graduation gift, but I don't have any beergun or similar items available. The beer will referment in the bottle, but bottling without precaution I think would remove all the advantages of fermentation in the keg!
I was wondering: can I saturate the bottles from the second cylinder (1-2 psi) with CO2, and then fill them with beer with a picnic tube connected to another tube? I read about someone doing something similar but saturating the bottles from another keg full of co2. Since I don't know if I explained myself, I'll leave you a drawing :D
Let's say that the main doubt is: can I saturate the bottles simply by opening the second co2 cylinder?

thumbnail_processed.jpg

Last edited:
Are saying use 1st tank of co2 to purge o2 and the 2and tank pushes beer from keg to bottle ?

Theres nothing wrong with that at all. The only thing I question is the temp of the beer in the keg . Do you have a kegerator or keezer with taps ?

Are saying use 1st tank of co2 to purge o2 and the 2and tank pushes beer from keg to bottle ?

Exactly, I write from Italy so sorry for my english!

Do you have a kegerator or keezer with taps ?
Yes i have. I think I'll put the empty bottles a couple of hours before bottling with the keg at 0-2 C°
I only have the "picnic" tap

Just get one of these.
BA9CDC5B-0142-4382-97DC-09F928D6D53A.jpeg

Then you can split one co2 tank and have flow control on both lines, one to the keg and one to an open end hose. Once you fill the bottle from the tap, purge the headspace with the other co2 line and then cap. Your biggest problem filling from your tap will be the carb level in the bottles will be much lower because you lose some when you are filling

So you can make the beer gun with your picnic tap . I believe it under the thread " we dont need no stinking beer gun" . It works but you have to pay attention to the pressure . I didnt lower my pressure and it blew choc stout all over my room and even the ceiling .

I dont know how much your going to bottle but when I bottle just a handful I bottle directly from the tap by inserting a piece of tubing into the faucet . Make sure the tubing reaches the bottom of the bottle . If I'm bottling 5 gallons from a keg I use my beer gun but I over carb it a tad because like Dgallo said you will lose a small amount . I've opened bottles up weeks later that were bottled at the tap and had zero issues with carbination or oxidation.

Your biggest problem filling from your tap will be the carb level in the bottles will be much lower because you lose some when you are filling
It's not a problem for me because I re-ferment in the bottles, with the classic sugar! I don't put carbonated beer in the bottles, also because the yeast will eat the remaining oxygen.

Once you fill the bottle from the tap, purge the headspace with the other co2 line and then cap.
thanks for your suggestion! many say they give a hit to the bottom of the bottle to make foam, so should it be done after filling the headspace with co2?

are you bottle priming ?
I am bottle priming. I end the fermentation in the keg, cold crash, and then bottle from the keg. In the bottles I put a solution of boiled water and sugar, as normally

I am bottle priming. I end the fermentation in the keg, cold crash, and then bottle from the keg. In the bottles I put a solution of boiled water and sugar, as normally

Okie dokie , gotcha . Just curious why cold crash ? I would think cold crashing would drop most of the yeast . Anytime I bottle prime I go from 70f beer to bucket of priming solution then bottles . I've never purged bottles before bottle priming , only when filling with already carbed beer .

thanks for your suggestion! many say they give a hit to the bottom of the bottle to make foam, so should it be done after filling the headspace with co2?
The problem making foam is that the foam traps the o2 that’s in the bottle In the foam. I didn’t realize you were bottling Non carbonated beer. You really should get yourself a bottling wand.

Okie dokie , gotcha . Just curious why cold crash ? I would think cold crashing would drop most of the yeast . Anytime I bottle prime I go from 70f beer to bucket of priming solution then bottles . I've never purged bottles before bottle priming , only when filling with already carbed beer .
There will be always active yeast to restart the fermentation in the bottles, if the cold crash lasts a few days. mainly I do it just to sediment yeast and various impurities and make the beer clearer. unless the cold crash lasts for weeks it never happened to me that the yeast didn't start to ferment again

Before I started kegging, I always cold crashed before bottling. They carbed just fine and left a much thinner layer of trub in the bottle that was much more likely to stick to the bottom than float around when I poured.

I also agree that there is no need to purge bottles in marchio's situation.

I also agree that there is no need to purge bottles in marchio's situation.
I think you're right, it's also a test, to see how long shelf life is extended! Many studies have shown that even with bottle priming most of the o2 remains in the bottle, the yeast is able to consume just a part of it. Being the gift for my degree I wanted it to be perfect :D

Last edited:
Back