Bottle dregs question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fathand

Reaction score
I have a gallon test sour going and a few months ago pitched some Jolly Pumpkin La Roja dregs into secondary. I was drinking a JP Weizen Bam the other night and decided to add those dregs too.

I understand it is the same microbes being added but I am wondering if this will do anything beyond increasing the cell count of the bugs already in there?

Well each of those beers may also have a different base yeast. From my understanding, jolly pumpkin gets their sour character from barrels that have their house souring blend. Back when I used dregs exclusively for my sours, I would add as many dregs as I could to get it working faster

The best way, IME is to find dregs from a variety of breweries to have a large diverse microbe selection. I have a sour blend now that I use which I made about a year back. Its capable of souring something in under 2 months. Its got JP, Prairie, Anchorage, Crooked Stave, and a few others

Generally JP uses the same primary yeast, was WLP550, now T58 I think.

I suspect all their barrels have the same bugs, so yes, you are only adding more of what you have. But depending on how fresh one is vs the other, one might still have a viable strain of bug which other one didn't.

Will not hurt.

Back