Bottle Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distantdrumming

Reaction score
How long does it normally take to carbonate and achieve a decent head after bottling? I'm going on 9 days with my first brew and still flat with no head.

You did something wrong. Mine is usually carbed within a week. Try a different bottle because you could have had a bad seal.

We need a little more information like, what kind of yeast, style of beer, temp the beer currently and how much priming sugar you used?

I used Saale US-05 yeast, conditioning at 64 degrees. It's a pale ale, and used a half cup of corn sugar for 4.5 gallons.

I've had carbonation after 5 days, ready to drink after two weeks, and start to get good after three weeks.

No but it might slow it down a wee bit. See if you can get your bottles into a warmer spot... 64f is a little on the cool side. I tend to use about 5oz of priming sugar per 5 gallons -- I think you are in the 2.3-2.4 Co2 volumes range there so it won't be massively carbed either so it really may just take a few weeks.

When I bottled, I always used 7/8 cup corn sugar per 5 gallons, because I like a little more head/carbonation, depending on the style.

You did something wrong. Mine is usually carbed within a week. Try a different bottle because you could have had a bad seal.

I disagree. Some beers take longer than others. Some require less time.

I've had beers that were flat for a month then miraculously, at a month and 2 days it's perfectly carbonated.

Just give it some time.

Most of my beers have carbonation very quickly. I've tried a couple batches where I bottled one plastic bottle and there was quite a bit of pressure within 24 hours. The heading takes longer. 2 to 3 weeks at 72 degrees is common. At 64 degrees I would expect a couple months as this process goes slower in cooler temps. Warm those bottles up for a few days and sample one again.

I used Saale US-05 yeast, conditioning at 64 degrees. It's a pale ale, and used a half cup of corn sugar for 4.5 gallons.

Did you aerate your wort good before pitching yeast? Your priming sugar could have been a wee bit higher for 4.5 gal, considering ~3/4 C. is the 'rule of thumb' for 5 gal. Also, your bottle-conditioning temp should be closer to 70F, and for 3 full weeks. Bottle-conditioning is simply a "mini-fermentation" in the bottle and it takes a slightly higher temp than your primary ferm temp to get and keep it going. You also might have a cap sealing issue with that one bottle (or all of them). What kind of bottles, capper, and crowns? Etc., etc.. :mug:

Okay, so it seems the consensus is to condition at a higher temp. Will this affect the taste of the finished product? I have them in my upright freezer/fermentation chamber, with another batch still in primary. It wasn't just the one bottle, I've sample three over the week. Seal is good, nice hiss upon opening. I guess my next task is to find a place to condition at room temp, I've already taken up half the kitchen with all my brewing stuff. Oh, and aeration was good, used a Venturi method and got it really foamy before pitching yeast.

There a great graphic about the length of bottle conditioning on an old thread that basically says low OG=less time, high OG=more time. 3 weeks is the general rule. For high OG beers I've started adding CBC yeast at bottling with great success. Sure it will eventually carb but sometimes I don't want to wait 3+ month to drink my beer!

Okay, so it seems the consensus is to condition at a higher temp. Will this affect the taste of the finished product? I have them in my upright freezer/fermentation chamber, with another batch still in primary. It wasn't just the one bottle, I've sample three over the week. Seal is good, nice hiss upon opening. I guess my next task is to find a place to condition at room temp, I've already taken up half the kitchen with all my brewing stuff. Oh, and aeration was good, used a Venturi method and got it really foamy before pitching yeast.

By the time the krausen settled in the fermenter the flavor was pretty much determined. The flavors will meld and smooth out with time in the bottle but the flavor won't deteriorate from the warm storage (except the hop aroma may dissipate quicker). I have some stouts that have been in warm storage (72F.) for 2 years and they just kept getting better.

How long does it normally take to carbonate and achieve a decent head after bottling? I'm going on 9 days with my first brew and still flat with no head.

It took a couple Years of bottling and I found myself waiting 6 weeks before sampling my homebrew to keep from being disappointed with the carbonation and I would drink10% of a batch in the process.
I went to adding fresh yeast as part of my bottling process and have been quite happy with the results. It takes a bit more planning and obviously sanitation is important but I believe the benefits are worth the effort. This would be most beneficial in beers that may lose important flavor and aroma characteristics in the days or weeks it takes to achieve proper carbonation, high gravity beers or beers where additional steps to clear the beer prior to packaging were implemented (long primary fermentations, secondary fermentation, cold crash, fining agents or filtering)
These pages are littered with "why didn't my beer carbonate" threads and the typical response is "wait". Normally the thread goes cold after a handful of responses and I would assume the OP either eventually got the carbonation they were looking for or settled for what they did get.
If your new to this and don't understand the lingo or process, if this seems unnecessary or daunting or you don't mind slow inconsistent results then carry on with the traditional methods otherwise give fresh yeast at bottling time a try and see if it helps.
Keep in mind it takes a particular amount of healthy yeast to properly carbonate beer so:
Try to clear your beer of as much of the primary yeast as possible. Don't rush primary fermentation, cold crash if possible or use your fining agents. FWIW fining agents are not needed to clear beer of nearly all of the yeast in suspension it just takes a little more time without them.
Weigh out your bottling yeast and rehydrate per the directions or rehydrate in your priming solution prior to adding to the bottling bucket. CBC-1 (a popular bottling yeast there are others that work equally as well) calls for .1 grams per liter which would be 1.9 grams if your packaging 5 gallons.
Once the yeast is rehydrated the process is the same as usual for bottling.
I have found that when the beer goes clear it is carbonated sufficiently normally within a week sometimes after just a few days.

This is very interesting information, completely new to me. Thanks guys, I think I just might try adding some yeast during the bottling process next time. I apologize about this info being already posted...there's so much info out there, it's hard to glean what I'm looking for without spending hours in the process. A couple questions: Abrayton, what's CBC yeast?And how much do you use when bottling? RM-MN, thanks. I think I'll pull my bottles out of the freezer and keep them room temp for awhile. sky4meplease, I know what you mean. I'm approaching the 10% mark myself ;) This CBC yeast you guys are talking about...I'll have to check if my LHBS has it on stock. Great info, really great :) Thank you all! I'm gonna be bottling up my Citra/2- Row smash soon, I'll definitely give this a try.

I use a 12 ounce plastic Coke bottle to gauge carbonation. It's the first one I fill when bottling. The bottle will get harder as carbonation occurs. If you need to, keep a second plastic bottle filled with water so you remember what the uncarbonated beer felt like. Takes my batches 2 weeks to get the bottle rock hard.

This is very interesting information, completely new to me. Thanks guys, I think I just might try adding some yeast during the bottling process next time. I apologize about this info being already posted...there's so much info out there, it's hard to glean what I'm looking for without spending hours in the process. A couple questions: Abrayton, what's CBC yeast?And how much do you use when bottling? RM-MN, thanks. I think I'll pull my bottles out of the freezer and keep them room temp for awhile. sky4meplease, I know what you mean. I'm approaching the 10% mark myself ;) This CBC yeast you guys are talking about...I'll have to check if my LHBS has it on stock. Great info, really great :) Thank you all! I'm gonna be bottling up my Citra/2- Row smash soon, I'll definitely give this a try.

Your LHBS should be able to help you get your hands on some CBC-1.
The product data sheet can be found at danstaryeast.com and the instructions are printed on the back.
There are other products with similar characteristics which include high alcohol tolerance, neutral flavor characteristics and they compact well in the bottom of the vessel.
Your smash beer will make for a good test run.

One thing this hobby demands is patience. I have very little, and with two kids running around, even less than normal.:smack: I've got a bunch of bottles that are probably fully carbonated, but at only 10 days, I want to wait to drink one. It's difficult to always wait a little longer for fermentation or bottle conditioning, but trust me it's worth it!

I use a 12 ounce plastic Coke bottle to gauge carbonation. It's the first one I fill when bottling. The bottle will get harder as carbonation occurs. If you need to, keep a second plastic bottle filled with water so you remember what the uncarbonated beer felt like. Takes my batches 2 weeks to get the bottle rock hard.

I usually use four glass 8oz Coke bottles for carbonation testing purposes. That way I don't have to waste as much when using the sample.

Question I recently cold crashed my first batch and have way less sediment than usual. Will the affect how long it takes to carb up?

Back