Bottle conditioning temp Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bakerboy2222

Reaction score
Bottling today. My original plan was to stick the bottles in my closet for conditioning with a variable temperature but nothing under 60 or over 75. Recently the east coast has had some lovely weather and I'm suspicious my closet could hit temperature of 80 or higher occasionally. I fermented on a heated floor (very consistant 63-64 degrees) but dont want to bug everyone else in the house with a ton of bottles sitting around on the floor.

Is temp as important in bottle conditioning as fermentation? Is 80 too high for bottle conditioning?

Fyi, witbier, primary for 7 days, secondary for 15 days. As of today.

60F is too cold to get them to carb ime. get them as close to at least 70F as possible. 80F isn't too warm. Bottle carb & condition temp isn't like ferment temps at all. 70F for 3 weeks is the normal baseline temp & time for bottle carb & conditioning.

High temps are more likely to affect the hops than cause off flavors from the yeasts. 80 is what I would consider the upper limit for a bottle conditioning temp, but not totally unheard of. Are you positive the closet when closed and left alone can get to that temperature?

Open windows, no a/c, no fan, and outside ambient air temp of 90+ F. I understand it is very difficult for 5 gallons of water to drastically change temp based on ambient air temp alone, but I definitely think 80 would be possible. 70 to 73 would be the norm.

Thanks guys, now the roommates wont have a fit!

Higher bottle carb & condition temps never effected the hops either in my experiences so far. It's not the same as ferment temps,since it's long past initial fermentation,where most off flavors are produced. Besides,that front that made it real warm the last couple of days is already past us here. Thunder & some rain as of today,& temps are lower. Some places behind the front like Colorado have new snow!

High temps are more likely to affect the hops than cause off flavors from the yeasts. 80 is what I would consider the upper limit for a bottle conditioning temp, but not totally unheard of. Are you positive the closet when closed and left alone can get to that temperature?

Not really, it's not like we're fermenting an entire beer when bottle conditioning. The entire fermentation of a few grams of sugar is NOT going to affect the flavor profile in any way.

I've had temp spikes into the 90's in the spring back when I lived in a loft with a west facing window, while bottle carbing, and never had any issues.

This nice weather is sticking around in my area for the next two weeks. Not a day with a high below 65!

Good for beer, good for me! :D

Revvy, same situation. West facing room on top of an uninsulated garage. My room has temp spikes you wouldn't believe. Looks like mother nature is cooperating though!

Revvy, same situation. West facing room on top of an uninsulated garage. My room has temp spikes you wouldn't believe. Looks like mother nature is cooperating though!

Worst thing that could possibly happen has to do with long term shelf stability, NOT short term flavor issues. If you're drinking your batch in under a year, doubt you'd notice any issues.

To defend my logic real quick, I meant if anything was to happen to it. I did not mean there was a guarantee the hops would be effected by higher temps and is more of a long-run issue as compared to quickly noticable things (which only the alpha acids can really be effected by because the yeast are more or less done causing changes). But in the end RDWHAHB

Latest posts

Back