Bottle conditioning big IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tadkays

Reaction score
I have a 1.092 ipa fermenting and will secondary with dry hops. Next is bottling. What is best yeast to add to bittling bucket?

Why would you need to add more yeast?

^ This. There is plenty of yeast left in the beer after fermenting to bottle condition your beer. You just need to use priming sugar to give the yeast something to convert to CO2! For an IPA I'd use 3oz table sugar for 5-5.5 gal.

Add me to the "no new yeast" bandwagon. You have a lot of well-acclimated yeast already in suspension, just waiting for a nice meal of priming sugar. They'll do the job if you give them a chance.

Depending on the original yeast and the abv it can be highly benificial to add new yeast. Waiting months for a beer to carbonate because it eventually will is not going to do the hop aroma any favors. If I push an IPA over 9% abv then a dollars worth of champagne yeast is a cheap insurance policy.

What is best yeast to add to bittling bucket?

There really is no "best" yeast to use. I usually use the same yeast I used in fermenting the beer... often times the dry version of the liquid yeast I use. Different strokes for different folks but I always add yeast to my big IPA's and all Belgians... Bottled a 1.098 IPA 9 days ago and it was great with tonight's dinner.

With big beers, I always make a small starter of the same yeast I used in the fermenter, and using a sterilized pipette tip, I add 5-10mm of liquid yeast to the bottles before filling them.

It's not a bad idea to add some dry yeast to your priming sugar just prior to bottling. Odds are you won't need it, but as someone already said, it's a cheap insurance policy. The yeast will be working hard to eat all that sugar, and might be less than vivacious. I'd add maybe a few grams of whatever your fermenting yeast was.

I have a 1.092 ipa fermenting and will secondary with dry hops. Next is bottling. What is best yeast to add to bittling bucket?

For a big beer, where your original yeast it likely pooped out and may take forever to carb, I like to use the original strain. I've never used champagne or wine yeast, because I'm concerned that some of the sugars that were left unfermented by my original strain may get used by the champagne and over carb the bottles while changing the flavor and/or mouthfeel.

Using us05,wlp001/002/090 and s04 I never add yeast to my ~1.090 IPAs at bottling and they carb up fine in 2 weeks.

Thanks gang, i think i will be fine without additional yeast. have had issues with barleywine and scotch ale in past but i think i just need to warm those up some.

My 7 hop IIPA went from 1.092 to 1.016 with wy1217. I added CBC-1 with priming sugar at bottling for a little conditioning insurance in my new refurbished swing top bottles that are hopefully carbing up now in the basement...

Latest posts

Back