Bottle Condition - Temperature Matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kzang

Reaction score
Hey, all!

I recently bottled my oktoberfest ale (Fermented at 68F for 1 month) in their bottle on Sept 6th.

I have now kept and will keep my house temperature at 73F. Will this produce more fruity esters or whatever or is the beer taste profile firmly established regardless of what temperature they condition at?

Ha. It is more about money than the beer at this point. :)

My thermostat is broken, and I am trying to get a new one. I don't have a fancy C-wire for the one I bought so I have to purchase another one.

I used to have my A/C off all month, and with it set at 68F for the fermentating process, it cost me an extra $100 on my energy bill. :) Plus it is kinda cold as crap sometimes. lol

I just want my beer to come out nice and great for my first brew, too....don't get me wrong! :ban:

Edit: How long should I bottle condition before placing it in the frig? 1-2 weeks?

I carb/condition my bottled beers for 3-4 weeks. Sometimes they're ready in 2-3 weeks. Then fridge for a week to get decent head & carbonation. Some are great at 1 week fridge time. Some are even better at two weeks fridge time. It'll depend on the beers & your particular situation to a degree.

Well, does it matter how long it is bottle conditioned then? I would really at least like try 2 bottles on Sept 19th.

I should be able to put 2 in the frig Sept 16th, and be ok with taste testing them before I go on vacation?

I bottle condition at whatever my house is at. So in summer its 75-80, winter 65-69. Haven't really had much trouble with it. For conditioning, I think time is more important.

Well, does it matter how long it is bottle conditioned then? I would really at least like try 2 bottles on Sept 19th.

I should be able to put 2 in the frig Sept 16th, and be ok with taste testing them before I go on vacation?

They may be okay at that point, but not as good as a couple of weeks down the road. Just chill and test one, so you don't waste too many. If it's not good, don't worry, it's just a matter of time.:ban:

Back