Bottle Carbonation - How Much Is Too Much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrsdws

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be bottling my California Common A this weekend and want a little more carbonation than I've had with my last few beers. I've been using various online calculators and using the prescribed dose of corn sugar.

This beer calls for co2 volume of 2.6. This is what my cream ales called for too and I'd like more. At my temp and volume that comes out to 4.77oz. I'm wondering if it's safe to go to 3.0 col or just under 6 oz of sugar?

Also, I'm using some Anchor Steam bottles. Will they take it?

How many gallons of beer do you have? My rule of thumb is 1 oz sugar per gallon.

It was a 5 gallon batch. Bottled it with 5.50oz of corn sugar and calls say that's the top of the range for this beer at 2.8. I didn't want to over do it as I've read that the Anchor bottles aren't so thick.

Standard glass bottles are generally safe up to 2.9 volumes I believe. Belgian bottles maybe 6ish? Get some of you want to crank it up

Standard glass bottles are generally safe up to 2.9 volumes I believe. Belgian bottles maybe 6ish? Get some of you want to crank it up

Is identifying Belgian bottles as simple as using the bottles your commercial Belgian beers are sold in?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

sometimes... but they quite a bit heavier /thicker than normal bud light bottles

Well, I bottled my Hefe last night, half in SN stubby bottles, half in regular. Primed for 2.8 vol of CO2. Lets see how that goes first. Should be fine.... I'm just hoping when I open them, they don't overflow with foam, or mix up the yeast/sediment at the bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back