Bottle carbing temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadm817

Reaction score
Just got done bottling a brewers best milk stout in which I added vanilla beans to the secondary (my guess is that doesn't matter for this question)

We are carbonating in the bottles. How do I know what temperature I should keep my bottles at?

Should I put them in the fridge right away?

Should I keep them at room temp for weeks and then put in the fridge?

Thank you!!

Many hold that 3 weeks at 70*f is a minimum. I tend to agree. Longer for high gravity brews.

Also, many don't worry about warming up higher. I read about someone on here doing his own experiment and carbing at 90 without issues.

3 to 4 weeks is the norm for average gravity beers to carb & condition. But stouts can take longer to mellow out from the roasted barley & the like. My dark beers sometimes take longer to carb as well. Let'em sit for 3 weeks at least at 70F or better before puting one in the fridge for a couple days.

3 to 4 weeks is the norm for average gravity beers to carb & condition. But stouts can take longer to mellow out from the roasted barley & the like. My dark beers sometimes take longer to carb as well. Let'em sit for 3 weeks at least at 70F or better before puting one in the fridge for a couple days.

There's a possibility that three weeks at 70-75*F won't be long enough for your stout. They can sometimes require up to another three weeks before fully carbed. They also end up taking some additional time (3-6 months) to reach their full flavor potential. Your patience, however, will be rewarded.

Back