Bottle carbing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikings

Reaction score
I'm making my first batch of cider, and want to bottle carb it. I read the sticky(s), but I am still a little fuzzy on the process and have a couple of questions.

SG: 1.060
Target FG: 1.00 (8% ABV), back sweetened to 1.010-1.020 with cherry juice and dark brown sugar
Yeast: Safale S-04
5 gallons of cider, pasteurized but no preservatives
4tsp yeast nutrient

So my questions:
1. Can I wait for this to drop clear before back sweetening if I want to bottle carb? (If it drops clear will there be enough yeast present in suspension to do the job?)

2. Can I cold crash to speed this up once fermentation is done or will this kill the yeast?

3. Approximately how much sweetness will I lose to the carbonation process? (If I back sweeten to 1.020, how far will it usually drop before attaining sufficient but safe levels if carbonation?)

4. Should I still degas during primary to promote healthy fermentation or leave the CO2 in suspension?

5. Does anyone know how long I should let 1L bottles pasteurize as described in the stovetop pasteurization thread?

Thanks!

Back