Bottle carb/pasteurizing skeeter pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primerib

Reaction score
Posting this here rather than the wine forum.

Has anybody successfully done the Pappers sweetening/bottle carb/stovetop pasteurization method with skeeter pee? I swear I’ve searched the entire internet and this forum and can’t seem to find any success stories. One anecdote about getting very yeasty results, not sure if it ever cleared up.

Was planning on stabilizing and leaving it still as per the recipe but had some sima (a Finnish sparkling lemonade) made by a friend the other day and thought just a little bit of fizz would be fantastic. I wish I had kegging ability but that isn’t an option right now. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I make something with ginger bug but you can make with normal yeast as well. I simply use juice of lemon + limes, Himalayan rock salt, cream of tartar, bit of honey & sugar. I use lemon peels and boil all of them together and put in primary after cooling and then add the ginger bug. I think honey doesn't ferment so well & leaves some sweetness.
I always bottle condition it but don't pasteurise it. I transfer to secondary (directly into the bottles) after 4-5 days. It tastes very good with fizz.

Attachments

• 20181028_130146.jpg
    20181028_130146.jpg
    789.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20181219_190832.jpg
    20181219_190832.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • 20190210_200924.jpg
    20190210_200924.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
Well I think I’ll give it a go then. I’ll be sure to update with my results so there will at least be one documented success or failure story.

I wish I weren’t such a sucker for fizz and sweet things. I also wish I had a kegging system, someday.

Latest posts

Back