Bottle carb help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarpon87

Reaction score
Ok so making my 2nd ever cider, its made with blueberry/ pom juice from knudsen. I want to rack 1 gal off and try it with some burbon soaked oak and vanilla. Question is, im kegging the 4gal of cider and back sweetening with apple juice concentrate after stabalizing it. If i want to bottle carb the 1gal, should i rouse the yeast in the fermenter before racking the 1gal off and how much priming sugar should i use...it will probably be closer to .75 gal since it will be in a 1gal jug. Since i cant stabalize if i want to bottle carb, should i add some lactose to balance evwrything?

I made a small batch of bourbon vanilla cider, off-dry and lightly carbonated (petillant).
It's kind of a weird mix of flavors and not something I'd make again.

If the cider has been sitting for a few months after fermentation finished I'd say it's best to add a pinch of fresh yeast at bottling. CBC-1 is good for this, although any neutral yeast is fine.

I've heard lactose adds mainly mouthfeel and not much sweetness. I've never used it in cider.

The cider is still fermenting, kinda weird it gets a krausen and goes away and then gets a krausen again. Using MJs cider yeast, didnt do it with the last batch. I realize the combo might be weird, thats why im just racking 1gal off. Lactose def lends some sweetness, ive done enought milk stouts and milkshake ipas to know, but never used in a 1gal cider batch.

Definitely no additional yeast rousing needed for bottle carbonation. Plenty already in suspension!

Latest posts

Back